Mary Ellen’s Misadventure on Trenitalia and Barry rides solo to Bassano del Grappo - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 19, 2018

Mary Ellen’s Misadventure on Trenitalia and Barry rides solo to Bassano del Grappo

Soave has been a special place for us to visit in spite of Mary Ellen spending part of the time sick in bed. Thirty three years ago, we got married and our choice of wine served at the wedding dinner was Soave Bolla. It’s fate, right.

As well as the wine connection, we like the small, quaint town of Soave surrounded by the picturesque plain and hills full of vineyards. It helped that we were able to stay in luxury for a budget price.

Mary Ellen has become more sick overnight and has a heavy cough. We asked about staying another night, but the hotel is completely booked. Barry came up with the idea for Mary Ellen to take the train and he would ride solo. A good idea. 

The hotel transported Mary Ellen to nearby San Bonifacio train station and the hotel printrd out a  good connection  getting her to Bassano del Grappa by 2:30. Well, that is when the fun started. After a long one sided Italian conversation from the train clerk rejecting the hotel’s print out from the Trenitalia site along with many gesticulations, and saying “not possible today”. After many laloras”, the route became, train 1 to Venice, then transfer  to a second train to Bassano.  Each train was quite late, little information was given to passengers, confusion seems to the norm, track #’s change with out notice and then when we got within a stop of Bassano, everyone  got off, except the tourists. It turns out the line has a problem. So the wait began for another late train to go one more stop. I finally got to the hotel at 6 pm -3 1/2 hours late for a trip of 83 km. We sometimes see travellers touring by train and imagine their trip to be easier. However, after today, being autonomous on your own bike is preferable. 

Meanwhile, Barry had a brute of a ride on a seriously hot day of 38 degrees Celsius (100 degrees Fahrenheit).   A steep climb of 15 km to Vicenza began the day , which then flattened out to Bassano. He didn’t arrive at the hotel in  Bassano until after 8 pm, tired and very hot.  We’ll stay here for 2 nights and try to recover, Barry from his tough ride and Mary Ellen from her cold.

We are staying at the small family run Hotel Brennero in Bassano del Grappa which suits us. We prefer the personal touch and charm of these hotels. It is comfortable, quiet, includes a breakfast buffet and best of all, our room has a killer view of the foothills of the Alps, including Mount Grappa. In a word, it is spectacular.

Barry is a solo tandem rider today, so he has to take his own photo. Thank goodness for reflective doors at the hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hotel Roxy Plaza, situated below Soave Castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Soave Bolla - we love red wine, but when in Soave......
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Train station #1 of the adventure
Heart 0 Comment 0
The trains are modern and comfortable, but strangely there’s is only one small bench on the platform. Considering that the norm seems to be late trains, more benches would be helpful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So the sign says, we’ll see what happens
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was interesting to see cyclists waiting for their train. I didn’t see any tandems or recumbents and from what I saw, we might have trouble getting it on. However, the shortage of train workers would give us the possibility of trying.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Travelling in the Veneto region has been full of delightful surprises and interesting history,
Heart 0 Comment 0
Seavo wouldn’t be going up there!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I feel kind of silly taking a selfie, and I always think that one look so silly, but when travelling alone, how else can you prove that you were really here?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yeah, what a grand and welcome sight seeing the sign for Bassano del Grappa train station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A very interesting sight, an abandoned church, L’Incompiuta in Brendola. It is a shell of a building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of L’Incompiuta Church, a ghostly presence in the countryside. It makes you wonder what happened to it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back from Brendola
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Is it just us, but we see an epidemic of people posing at sights. Most often we see young women in glamorous clothing posing endlessly in front of a point of interest. They show no interest in where they are, rather their interest seems to be self directed. This must be replacing selfies.At least these guys showed a sense of humour. But it can’t be annoying.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vicenza is notable for the exceptional palaces and villas designed by Andrea Palladio
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panorama of the view of Vicenza from on high.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another view of Vicenza. You can see the sultry heat of the day in the haze.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vicenza is a very pretty place. This shows more of the work of Andrea Palladio.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vicenza and the surrounding area is special due to the architectural works of Palladio and these extraordinary villas and Piazzas have made Vicenza a Unesco Heritage site.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A close up of the detail at the top of one of the columns.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry is following a Bikeline route for the Veneto region and it shares the same route as this Italian route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roberto, with his children, made Barry feel very welcome at his small grocery store where I stopped for a break.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Uh oh, construction is never good on a cycle tour. Barry had to take to the highway for a while.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch in Vicenza with a double espresso did a good job of fuelling Barry to reach his destination.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 83 km (52 miles)
Total: 2,803 km (1,741 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0