Exploring Verona - bike shops and cool neighbourhoods - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 15, 2018

Exploring Verona - bike shops and cool neighbourhoods

We used our online route resource, Biroto to find bike friendly accomodation in Verona -  Hotel Porto Palio. This remodelled Hotel is a good value, situated on a fast flowing canal, a great breakfast buffet and plenty of storage for our bike.  Also it is a short bike ride or walk to the historic centre. As usual, we find that we can’t rush our time in Verona so we will stay here for 3 nights. 

First stop is  a ride to  a bike shop we found on a previous trip -Dieffe Bikes...and as luck will have it, the same man who helped us 3 or 4 years ago was working  - Surprisingly he remembered us and Seavo. 

Barry has been  having trouble with one of his Speedplay Frog pedals, and he was able to take it apart and fix it! Unfortunately, we didn’t realize until later while riding, that the cleat on his shoe was the real problem and is  kaput. . Bike shops close for about 3 hours for a  lunch break, so we  will try to find a solution later today  for Barry. With his feet outstretched in front of him on the bike, cleats are essential for him to ride.  As mountain bike pedals are hard to find in Italy where road bikes rule, it will probably mean that he will have to go the Shimano route for the rest of the tour.

Today will be a sightsee by bike day in Verona for us -once we figure out Barry’s pedal 

This man has come to our aid more than once at Dieffe Bikes -and surprsingly he remembered us and Seavo from 4 years ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dieffe Bici -a great bike shop in Verona.
Heart 0 Comment 0
You can climb to the top of this tower in Piazza Erbe for a great view, but we are going to stay away from the crowds and go up the funicular instead.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Piazza Erbe is a very popular place where locals and tourists like to relax in cafes which makes for great people watching.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had a delicious lunch at a bar near the bike shop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary Ellen had the Italian salad with mozzarella, artichokes, sun dried tomatoes, corn, etc. Yummy with local olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dressing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Right across the street from the bar was a butcher shop specializing in horse meat. Donkey is also popular in this region.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltAck - - horse and donkey meat at a butcher shop?
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
As most people live in apartments, we are always impressed by the incredible gardens created from a small space. Many of these plants originate from the rooftop garden and cascade down the walls.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Flowers and gardening are a passion here. What a great idea to have a mobile shopfront his truck.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Duomo from across the Adige River
Heart 0 Comment 0
We love these historic bridges -each one is unique in its design and they add to the architectural wonder of a medieval town like Verona.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The funicular takes you up for a great view of Verona. Perhaps tomorrow we will go for a ride on the funicular
Heart 1 Comment 0
A close up of the bridge - like the decorative detail of the round opening in the middle of the bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry broke his Speedplay Frog cleat today. We went to this shop looking to replace Barry’s cleats. We ended up buying new Shimano SPD pedals.Chesini is renowned in Italy and internationally for the quality of their handbuilt bikes since 1925.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The shop has expanded to the building next door which dates back to the 15th century.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a beautiful bike shop with exquisite bikes, components and Cessini built lamps made entirely of bike parts.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Daniele on the left is the mechanic and Francisco is the frame builder - the next generation in Chesini’s long legacy of master bike building..
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were entranced by the unique lamps that have been made at the shop. Every part of this lamp is a bike components and it is quite beautiful.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Francesco at work in the shop. He told us that the frames are painted by a master in Padua.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another wonderful garden created on a balcony.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a showdown this was on Via Mezzina -the big one wanted to play, but the small dog was too hyper. Even the child in the stroller was interested.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Just like our last visit, we were able to find great gloves, all made in Italy, at Dieffe Bikes and Chesini. I really like my pink ones and Barry is partial to the Chesini pair with their logo done in the colours of the Italian flag.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 17 km (11 miles)
Total: 2,648 km (1,644 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0