Riding to Verona - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 14, 2018

Riding to Verona

 Last night, we had just gotten in to bed and couldn’t believe  the loud roar outside. It was the force of a heavy rainfall which was quickly followed by thunder that continued for hours. 

We discovered as well that our Apple ID account had been compromised by a fraudulent email telling us that a suspicious log in of our a/c had been discovered in Uzbekistan. We are pretty cautious with our data, but the email looked official. We started to respond and realized something ddidn’t feel right.  So, then the struggle began to figure out how to get help from Apple. Being from Canada with a German phone number and travelling in Italy made the process complicated. We waited at the hotel for a call back, but our German # was a problem. We finally got it sorted by staying put in a park in Mantova until we reached a person. In the end, Brian from Ireland helped 2 Canadians travelling in Italy with a German phone #. Travelling can be so  interesting!

This meant that we didn’t get out of Mantova until midday and it is such a hot day. The ride today is taking us  through very  pretty countryside on mostly quiet country roads with the Alps looming closer with each km. To highlight how hot it was, we were suffering and were  tempted by the air conditioned comfort of a McDonald’s in Dossobuono where we enjoyed a sundae, an Americano  and a kid’s birthday party. We aren’t usually fans of McDonalds, but today it hit the spot.

With excitement, we rode in to Verona, eager to find a place to stay. We were here about 3 years ago on an earlier bike trip, and we are keen to spend a few days here. It is a beautiful city -a living museum with much charm.

Packed up and ready to go in the courtyard of our hotel -the calm after the storm last night.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we said, the ABC Comfort hotel doesn’t look like much from the outside, but don’t let that put you off.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Suzanne GibsonSix years ago, my husband and I stayed in the hotel next door, Hotel Rigoletto. We, too, experienced a tremendous thunderstorm in the night, lightning and loud, booming thunder! I wrote about it in my journal on our trip in the Po Valley. https://travel.topicwise.com/doc/page/?o=1r1&page_id=283554&v=27
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Mantova, a city of mostly stone roads like this one. Pretty to look at, but very bumpy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It’s market day in Mantova. We have been so lucky this year being in places on market day. Mary Ellen stayed in the park talking to Apple about our problem, and Barry wandered through the market.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This bike stall at the market had just about everything you can imagine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More bike things for sale at the market.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When we checked out of our hotel the woman gave us the traditional round cookie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yesterday this Square was relatively quiet. Today it was packed with market stalls and shoppers. The market went for quite a distance through all four of the old towns piazzas
Heart 1 Comment 0
We watched this children’s activity group playing a game in the park
Heart 0 Comment 0
These automated outdoor toilets cost 20 cents to use. All of the kids used them with the older kids in blue keeping guard at the door and stopping the door from closing.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We have added a few more stickers for our bike - Catalonia and France. We are running out of room and have to remove old ones or cover them over.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Spain sticker - we are starting to cover the tube by Mary Ellen’s seat.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These market stalls are amazing. They just drive away to the next city
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The pop outs slide back in and off they go
Heart 0 Comment 0
People are always asking us if it is all right to take a photo of our bike
Heart 2 Comment 0
So we took one of him as well.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The castle in Mantova is on the edge of town - we have liked it here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving mantova
Heart 0 Comment 0
We see these electrical towers everywhere we go
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Foothills of the Alps are looming in the distance
Heart 0 Comment 0
A very nice ride today,
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wow! A bicycle tree!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We loved watching the bird life in what we think are rice fields
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are not sure what this bird is
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 2,631 km (1,634 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0