A rest day in Mantova - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 13, 2018

A rest day in Mantova

The ABC Comfort hotel in Mantova has turned out to be a great choice. Its location across from the train station and its exterior which is perched right on a busy street could make one pass it by and miss its charm and potential. Once you go through the doors, it is an oasis of calm as the spacious rooms are  all in the interior, sheltered from the street with each room opening on to a courtyard. And best of all, the staff are great and went out of their way to accommodate our bike in a secure place with bike tools provided. 

We like what we saw in Mantova yesterday and are looking forward to riding our bike (without any panniers or trailer!!) to explore further.

We love finding a way to eat like the locals - good food for a reasonable price at this cafeteria near the hotel. We had pasta, chicken, fish and salad for under 10 euros. Plus the wine was on tap - but we had a big day of exploring ahead of us - so Aqua Frizzante for us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Piazza Sordello is a grand square with impressive buildings of significance lining its edges: the Duomo (cathedral), Palazza Bianchi, Palazzo Bonacolsi and the Basilica di Sant Andrea, which is in the background in the next Piazza
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is no discernable traffic pattern here - cars, bikes, pedestrians - whatever you like.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Palazzo Ducale in Piazza Sordello
Heart 0 Comment 0
Liked this balcony’s decorative details and the conundrum of how you access it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry taking the high road - that is, the easier route on the smooth path on the bricks rather than on the very rough pebble road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This garden is a beloved oasis just off the square through one of the brick arches.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The facades of this building are quite a sight. How do these unsupported facades stand the test of time?
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Rotonda di San Lorenzo, the circular building on the right, is the most ancient church in Mantova dating back to the 11th century. It is felt that it stands on the site of a Roman temple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A detail of the sun dial on the tower which shows the frescoes from the Byzantine era.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside Rotonda di Sant Lorent - showing its design with a main centre, arches and domes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is quite moving to see frescos that have survived since the Byzantine era, 11th to 12th century.
Heart 0 Comment 0
During work to put a road through this square, many decades ago, the excavation revealed the ruins of Rotonda di Sant Lorent. It was restored in 5 years - a treasure.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We like visiting Italy before summer as the crowds are not at their highest and it is hot, but not as bad as it will be in a month.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Basilica is extraordinary in its overwhelming size and the remarkable stonework and priceless paintings.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The dome in the Basilica.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There is no stained glass but the ornate stonework, painted details and works of art are magnificent.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This large octagonal balustrade is a sacred area over the crypt where it is said that the blood of Christ from the crucifixion had been hidden. Longine who had stabbed Jesus, picked up a piece of earth soaked in the blood and hid it underground in this spot. This was first discovered in 804 AD and as a result, three churches were built here over this spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
You can see the breadth and beauty of this Basilica.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mantova is known for some pastries - notably the one on the right. It is quite crumbly and hard in texture. The “spaghetti” one on the left with crunchy dry pasta and lots of sugar was not to our taste.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 11 km (7 miles)
Total: 2,570 km (1,596 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0