Highways and Hoards - Going Up Down East - CycleBlaze

July 1, 2023

Highways and Hoards

New Castle to Pittsburgh

After hoovering the hotel breakfast bar, I headed downhill to New Castle. This being Saturday on a four-day weekend, traffic was light.

Once in town the final climb began. New Castle is one of those river valley towns. Climbing out of the valley and over to the next is hard work. I took my time and made it up to the town of Energy. For the next several miles I rode rollers until my descent to Elwood City where I was stopped dead in my tracks by a 5K foot race. It took about 20 minutes for the last of the participants cleared the road ahead and I could get moving again. After Elwood City I descended further to the Beaver River.

Not the fastest bunch
Heart 0 Comment 0

I crossed and re-crossed the river and eventually ended up on a four-lane highway. I really, really wouldn’t want to ride this road on a busy weekday. At Rochester I crossed the Ohio River to remain on a four-lane highway.

Being along the river meant that the terrain was level, a rare treat in this mountainous area. I also had a decent tailwind so it looked like smooth sailing.

I re-crossed the Ohio on the Ambridge Bridge. It was close to noon and storm clouds were approaching so I looked for a diner-type restaurant. There were none in Leetsdale or Sewickley so I re-re-crossed the Ohio to Coraopolis. My search for a diner was interrupted by a cloud burst. I rode around town looking for a diner until I gave up and had lunch at McDonalds.

Next came Neville Island then back to the south bank of the Ohio before crossing the McKees Rocks bridge into Pittsburgh.

In Pittsburgh I climbed up into the Brighton Heights neighborhood before descending right back down to a paved trail along the Ohio. As the path turned along the Allegheny River it passed a huge Casino and a small water feature.

Kids getting wet along the trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
The fountain is at The Point where the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers meet to form the Ohio
Heart 0 Comment 0

This trail took me directly to PNC Park where the Pirates were about to start a game. Thousands of fans were lining up for admission. I dismounted and salmoned my way through the throng.

Roberto Clemente
Heart 0 Comment 0

Free of the masses I crossed over to downtown where, unbelievably, I encountered scores of people dressed as furry creatures. I had stumbled upon the aftermath of the Anthrocon parade.

Easily the furriest bike tour I’ve ever been on
Heart 0 Comment 0

Finally clear of the masses of dubious humans I followed my Google master as it guided me in a big arc around the steepest part of the Pittsburgh hills. It made for a long climb and a frustrating time trying to follow the instructions through park pathways and alleys. I finally quit “bicycle mode” and the app put me back on the more direct, bigger streets.

At about 4:30 I arrived at Earl and Anne’s house in Wilkinsburg. I’ve known them since my Boston days in the 1970s. We spent the evening reminiscing, eating and drinking, and searching in vain for an all night pharmacy for a family friend.

Tomorrow I ride to Homestead where I pick up the GAP Trail and begin the 350+ mile, off-road trek homeward.

Today's ride: 72 miles (116 km)
Total: 2,300 miles (3,701 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0