To Pu'er: climbs and farming - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

March 10, 2007

To Pu'er: climbs and farming

We continue on through town on the road we came in on, and look for road signs for our route. We see one for Pu'er Road, locals point us onto the road that has signs posted--no bicycles.

We continue on, pass the toll gate and we are waved on. There is a local on a bicycle also. We start to climb, cycling past the local when he walks, he passes us when we stop for a break. The climb is about 15km, small downhill, then another climb, then a long downhill and a final climb to Pu'er.

There is a haze but we see mountains and deep valleys. Terraced field of rice, cabbages, tea, corn, watermelons. People working with hoes and shovels. We think we find a hotel, about to unload, then we are told by another man from the desk "no, must not rent to foreigners." The desk person explains a hotel for us is just around the corner. The check in is friendly, they show us a room for our bikes, we shuttle up the gear to the room. It's just after noon. Rachel goes in search of food, and returns with cokes. We clean up and go out and find we are located just above the market and find a "buffet" of lots of dishes of various food mixtures to put on rice. We make our selections in a take away container and return to the room to eat.

Later we explore the town a little more. We ask about a supermarket and a woman and man about to leave by car "tell us" to get in and they drive us to the market. We walk back through the local market and buy bananas and strawberries, and see smoked ducks, one skinned dog, live baby ducks and lots of produce. We spot another food cart that we return a little later for dinner...Chinese take out.

Seems safer to take away when seeing how the dishes are washed.

Proof men will ask for directions
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gotta love Rachel's outfit...
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We start to see lots of pool tables
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of the market
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 km (29 miles)
Total: 6,525 km (4,052 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0