To Mile Marker 4407 Free Camping: Lots of - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

April 24, 2007

To Mile Marker 4407 Free Camping: Lots of

Since we aren't taking full rest days, we are trying to make the next few days easier by making them shorter. So we don't get on the road until 0930. There is still hot water, so we take showers--never know when to expect the next one. Rachel washes her hair, only the second time since crossing the Tibet Border. It's more about getting hair to dry rather than the washing.

For breakfast, we have bananas and yogurt, coffee with waffle cookies. We have been taking vitamins, and good to get calcium from the yogurt. We both are looking forward to expanding our diet in Lhasa. This whole section from Deqin, Patrick has dreamed that Lhasa will have the Golden Arches!! And Rachel thinks of Monicals Pizza, green olives and green salad with red french dressing. 

Again, the biking centers around food.

The road continues much as yesterday, riding upstream and through a canyon, slowly gaining altitude. The day is overcast, early on with a few sprinkles. We continue to see the planned communities. At one village across the river, there is a huge stupa and many prayer flags...just before there is a police checkpoint with buses and cars stopped. We cycle quickly by and stop at the top of a hill to take pictures of the stupa. A car stops, a couple gets out and said they had seen us before (Rachel thought she said Deqin).

At 1400 we reach marker 4407 where there is supposed to be a good campsite. Patrick explores, we push bikes up a trail to a clearing above the road. We have a beautiful view of the valley. Patrick takes a big trek back to the river to filter water. We enjoy beer and peanuts that he has carried, scrounge the area for firewood only finding small twigs. Patrick builds a fire albeit a small one, it's nice to have the warmth.

For dinner, we have take out we picked up in the town at marker 4403. It's refreshing to something other than instant noodles. We retire to the tent as the rain starts.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The last of the nutella
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are from Lewis and Clark country with signs like this...just don't know which is pointing, Lewis or Clark.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
They said they had seen us before.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Each settlement has a different colored roof...like they are being color coded.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another planned community, with a purple roof
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 8,455 km (5,251 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0