To Bukittinggi: Cycling and a bus - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

October 16, 2006

To Bukittinggi: Cycling and a bus

We get up very early, its only 5:30am and still dark as we have carried our bikes and gear down the stairs and are fully loaded in the lobby. We set off in the dark, there is little traffic to worry about and the road surface is good.

After about 5km Patrick realizes he must have switched the front wheels in Jakarta because the wheel with the odometer sensor is on Rachel's wheel. We pull off and make the switch. The road heads north, following the flat coastal plain for about 30km, then we turn inland slightly and start climbing gradually. We get to just over 100 meters altitude, drop back down and climb again. Traffic is lighter than what we are used to in Java but the road is still narrow and every once in a while things clog up. We plan to ride as long as we enjoy it and have the strength then take a ride if we need to in order to keep moving. While we hate taking so many rides, we know this is necessary to keep moving until we turn a corner and can cycle again. The visa days are counting down.

The town of Bukittinggi is over 900 meters and we both know that's a bit much for us right now. In the small town of Sinscir, Patrick asks a guy where we can find the bus terminal. There isn't really one, but he flags down the next bus for us. In a whirlwind of activity, the bags come off the bikes are handed up to the roof where one of the bus boys stores them on the roof rack. Next the bikes. 20,000Rp will get us 35km down the road, but also more than 800 meters altitude. Patrick gives the kids 10,00Rp for their help in hauling the bikes and gear up. Hopefully, they are lashed down securely enough.

Almost immediately the road starts to climb steeply up into fog and smoke clouded mountains. The bus is full, for a while we stand in the middle path. A woman offers Patrick a banana. We get to Bukittinggi just after lunch time. The bikes come off the roof and all the bags are accounted for. In the middle of a hectic frenzied bus terminal, we hang the gear back on the bikes and head for the "Kota" or city center. Patrick sees the central clock tower and we make our way (going the wrong way) down a one-way street in the busy market. But we find the Hotel Asia without much trouble. The room is large, clean and bright with a nice balcony and hot water.

A nice place for a couple of days, but we do have to carry everything up to the third floor. Two guys help us they seemed surprised when Patrick gives them some money.

Bus stalls make for good rest stops.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
That's it for all we can do today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from our room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View out our window
Heart 0 Comment 0
The mandatory "guy on a horse" statue in the town square.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Clock town in the center of town and in Minangkalau style
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 788 km (489 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0