Rest Day in Shigatse: om mani padme hum - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

May 12, 2007

Rest Day in Shigatse: om mani padme hum

After breakfast at the Tashi Restaurant, we find the route of the Kora by following the pilgrims with prayer wheels walking by the row of bigger prayer wheels. We are lead up an ally with the wall of the monastery on one side.

It is truly amazing the number of people that do the Kora, mumbling the mantra, om mani padme hum (Praise to the Jewel in the Lotus) spinning their hand held prayer wheels or the large mounted prayer wheels, or doing both at the same time. The trail goes up and behind the monastery then down a bit yet still above the old town and eventually behind the old fort. We are rewarded with great views of the valley and surrounding mountains.

We ask the hotel restaurant to boil the eggs we purchased in a small store...it's easier and saves our fuel. Then lunch, internet to catch up emails, supermarket to restock supplies for the next stretch. The hotel is without power for most of the afternoon into the early evening. For dinner, we had something different, chicken curry and tandoori chicken & naan.

We talk about plans for the route from Alaska to return home....

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0