Rest Day in Lhasa: Potala Palace - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

April 29, 2007

Rest Day in Lhasa: Potala Palace

We start with breakfast at our hotel restaurant of muesli and yogurt, fruit and a big pot of american style coffee. While Rachel does some more laundry, Patrick walks back to Barkhor Kora. 

Yesterday afternoon we discovered a small monastery with a big prayer wheel and Mani Lhakhang, a long row of prayer wheels leads back into an alley to another monastery called Meru Nyingba, Patrick follows some pilgrims into a courtyard and comes upon a beautiful scene. Probably about a hundred pilgrims are seated around the partially shaded courtyard spinning their prayer wheels, thumbing their prayer beads and softly chanting prayers. The light falls between the strung up tarps and creates beautiful spots of light amongst the people. Patrick takes pictures, some close ups and people like to see themselves on the LCD screen.

At noon, we show up at the Potala main entrance.  We go through a metal detector then climb up a long series of stairs and ramp along the front of the majestic building to the entrance. We each pay 100 yuan to the Chinese government for the privilege of visiting the Dali Lama's residence. So do many Chinese tour groups, we try to avoid them. 

Photographs are not allowed in the buildings. We start on the third floor and roof then make our way down via the second and first floor, visiting the living quarters and tombs of the long past spiritual leaders. The building and sight inside are very impressive, but definitely feels like a museum. 

No one lives here anymore...The exit is via a long ramp along the rear of the building. We walk around via the Kora, a long row of prayer wheels along the rear wall of the Potala Palace.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0