Rest day in Jaspar: Maligne Lake - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

September 5, 2007

Rest day in Jaspar: Maligne Lake

The sleeping bag and sheets are drenched this morning on Rachel's side. She broke out in a sweat with it dripping off her in the early morning. As Patrick wakes up, she says she also has a headache, chilled and not feeling well. We had planned to go on today with Robbie cycling with us. Plans change and Rachel sleeps late...feeling better after getting up around 1030-11am. Patrick fixes tea and starts a fire.

Robbie stops by on his way out and tells Patrick the Canadian he camped with has plans to go to Maligne Lake. Patrick may join him. Our campmates have already left for the lake. About 1230 Rachel rides into town with a list of supplies to shop for, Patrick will head out for the lake about 1pm. Rachel shops for camp soap and wanders around the gift shops then to the grocery store for two suppers and lunch supplies for the stretch to Banff. Back at the campground, Rachel calls her mom. Just as she finishes the call, Patrick gets out of the car back from the lake and we walk back together to camp. Only for a short time in camp, we ride back into town for pizza.

The trip to Maligne Lake is pretty, but Patrick was glad that we didn't cycle there because it is almost all uphill. It is cloudy so the views across the lake are not quite as advertised. Phil and Patrick walk back to a small lake nearby, Moose Lake, then back track and follow the shoreline of Maligne Lake uphill with a nice view down the length of the lake. Phil is from Calgary and into plants so shows Patrick all kinds of small flowers and plants and know quite a few names. His goal this year is to learn all member of the willow family, last year he studied the pea group. 

On the way back, they are caught in a downpour, the valley is filled with dark clouds that seem to spill over Yellowhead pass.

Robbie cycles on without us
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0