Rest Day in Dechen/Jol/Deqin: Tomorrow Tibet - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

April 4, 2007

Rest Day in Dechen/Jol/Deqin: Tomorrow Tibet

We wake to a rainy-snowy day and we are cold. It's always nice to have decided to have a rest day before you know the weather is bad. Then when the weather is bad, it's nice to have a rest day.

The morning is spent trying to stay warm. We have all our coats on, we watch the hills become lightly dusted with snow, the mountains hidden in fog. Around noon-thirty, the rain seems to have stopped and we venture out. Today we need to resupply food for the next stretch of cycling days. We stop at two different bakeries for cookies, muffins, small cakes and bread rolls. Returning to the "supermarket" we shopped yesterday, for thicker socks since the "sports" store only had thin socks. The supermarket roof leaked and water is everywhere making the floor tiles slippery. We found the socks, also soaked. We had lunch at the same restaurant for a hot pot noodle soup, check our email again since this may be the last internet access for a while. Patrick tries to mail home DVD's but there is no international mailing service from here.

Patrick has managed to get the tent dry, but the laundry hung in the bathroom is still wet. As he moves laundry to the roof, Rachel checkes at the front desk about getting eggs hard boiled. One girl walkes her down the street and into a guesthouse, up 3 flights of stairs into a large vacant room with tables. At the end of the room are two girls eating and watching TV. A guy takes the eggs into the kitchen and in a large wok hard boiles the eggs. After 10 minutes he gave them back in Styrofoam containers and bag---no charge.

Dinner is at a shop that we've learned to just point to what others are eating. The laundry retrieved from the roof is only slightly less damp.

 Tomorrow, we go to lower elevations and hope the skies have cleared as we enter Tibet.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0