Day 2 - Dude Ranch and a Thai Restaurant - Mini tour to Baca, Yucatan on our new folding bikes - CycleBlaze

December 4, 2021

Day 2 - Dude Ranch and a Thai Restaurant

A beautiful Airbnb
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had a good nights sleep and were treated to a wonderful breakfast of fresh fruits, spanish tortilla, granola, yogurt, jugo verde, orange juice etc.  This same Airbnb we had stayed at in 2018 when we were checking out different areas to spend our winters.  It is such a beautiful colonial home owned by a couple of ladies from the US. It's only a block from the square as well, although Baca is not that big and you can easily walk everywhere.

Located just on the outskirts of Baca is Vertical Knits - a factory producing t-shirts (playeras) and shorts/pants  of various designs and brands.  I would imagine this provides pretty steady income for the residents of Baca.  It could be why Baca feels a little bit more prosperous than some other pueblos in the Yucatan.

Not a bad setting to fix a tire
Heart 3 Comment 0

After Rob fixed my tire again, we set off to explore a nearby Hacienda, a dude ranch, which was suggested by a young lady we had stopped to talk to yesterday.  At least I'm pretty sure that is  what she was saying.  My spanish is getting better but I still feel like people speak at rapid fire speed and I sometimes (often)  miss what they are trying to tell me.  

Lovely young lady we had met yesterday just outside the Hacienda entrance near Baca
Heart 1 Comment 0

It was only 4 1/2 km's ride to the Hacienda Kancabchen. The sun was shining and the birds were singing - it was glorious.  We passed fields with cattle and horses along a beautiful gravel road shaded with trees before reaching the gates of the Hacienda. 

An enjoyable ride through the canopy of trees
Heart 1 Comment 0

We were told on arrival that the Hacienda was closed to visitors due to the pandemic but the guard then immediately made a call to the jefe to ask permission for us to enter.  People are so kind!

Heart 0 Comment 0

Pascual Rivero Gamboa built the Hacienda Kancabchen (pozo de tierra roja) in 1921, and is where sisal was produced.  Later on the introduction of synthetic fibers brought about the decline of the production of sisal.   The hacienda was later inherited by his daughter Mrs. Josefina Gamboa Casares, who owned it until 1985.   Afterwards the Ponce Garcia family bought it.

The Chapel and main house
Heart 2 Comment 0
A huge arena where they were exercising the horses
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look at this beautiful gathering room? above the work stalls
Heart 0 Comment 0

There is the main house, with 8 rooms and a library, a chapel with capacity for 200 people and a cantina.  There is also a zoo, orchard, stables and an arena for the mexican rodeo (charrería).  There is also an area for cockfighting (I didn't see this) and a casino.

The birdsong on our walk through the property was unbelievable and beautiful.  The place was busy with workers tending to all the many horses and nobody paid us any attention as if 2 gringos pushing their bikes through their work area was normal and maybe it is.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We had a bit of time after visiting the Hacienda before we were to go for lunch so we rode back to the last pueblo we had cycled through yesterday to get a better look.

Pueblo Tixkuncheil
Heart 0 Comment 0
Impressive church for the size of the town
Heart 2 Comment 0

One of the main reasons for biking to Baca was to go for lunch at the wonderful Thai restaurant there.  I somehow managed to take us down a wrong road on the way there and past some dogs who were not happy to see us.  After our close encounter with a pack of street dogs in Merida we were ready for these ones and just got off the bikes and walked.  If you don't give them something to chase they seem to lose interest - at least that is my experience.

Keeping our eye on the dogs
Heart 0 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe have found that loudly shouting !No! In any country seems to do the trick. It causes confusion in the dogs which seems to slow them down sufficiently to allow us safe passage. Loud growling sounds also seem effectively confusing, after all one does not expect one's prey to aggressively shout back.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Leslie and Rob CookeTo Steve Miller/GrampiesYes we have yelled at them and sometimes that works. We actually bought a small marine air horn that we can give a blast with if things get iffy. I'm always scanning the side of the road for dogs now.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
La Casa de Los Lotos
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The restaurant is part of a wellness clinic that offers free therapeutic support to cancer patients.  I believe they  have accommodation on site.  It has been in operation for more than 12 years and is carried out by the Foundation of Natural Wellbeing.

We have eaten here maybe 4 or 5 times and the food is delicious and some of it very spicy - which I forget about every time. I can't say no to curry and then find myself mopping sweat from my brow.  The waiter even warned me this time and I said I love spicy food, bring it on.

We took a wander through the lovely gardens afterwards - so beautiful and peaceful.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We finished the day up at the square, people watching, listening to the church bells and eating fries and marquesitas. Mexican towns come alive at night - about the time we normally go to bed - but we forced ourselves to stay up on this occasion.  

I watched a lady order fries and this is what they added to the plastic cup of fries:  deep fried pieces of hot dog topped with cream, ketchup, cheese and of course the fries, in a plastic cup and topped off with hotsauce.  I actually am kicking myself for not getting the same.

Love his t-shirt. I wonder if it was made in Baca
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Mike AylingWalking past dogs - you can use your bike as a barrier between you and the dog.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Leslie and Rob CookeTo Mike AylingYes I actually feel very comfortable taking this approach. So far it's worked.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago