Day 7: Friday 23 June 2023 - Chalon-sur-Saône to Villefranche-sur-Saône - Brighton to Barcelona by bike - CycleBlaze

June 23, 2023

Day 7: Friday 23 June 2023 - Chalon-sur-Saône to Villefranche-sur-Saône

route planned 113km https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42604290

Not quite sure what happened, but somehow I overslept substantially. I thought I'd set the alarm for 6:15 with a plan for us to leave the hotel at 7:30. However, I managed to get things wrong asleep and woke up at 7:33! I don't like rushing in the morning, but I managed to get everything done and ready to go including a small breakfast by 815.

Gorgeous morning, with a few small hills, first thing, but nothing serious and then the best part of 50 or 60 km along with the banks of the river Saône.  Beautiful, peaceful with quiet roads or cycle paths, 99% of the time, so we could cycle side-by-side and chat. We also had a slight tailwind which picked up later in the afternoon.

We stopped at around 30 kilometre point for a snack and a drink, and at 75 KM, we stopped in Macon on the riverside in what for me was an ideal lunch spot.  Croque monsieur, frites and ice cream.

Although the river path continues from there. It is mostly unpaved, so we continued on small country lanes for the last 40 km.  Not very severe hills, but slightly unwelcome that late in the day and getting hotter. My general aches and pains were okay apart from the cramp in my left foot and inevitable sore bottom! Definitely needs a day off. Partly because of the slightly late start, we did not arrive until around 5:30, but there is a fantastic Brasserie directly opposite where we had a drink, then went to our rooms to get ready and cleaned up (very necessary!).  Modern budget hotel, with quite small rooms, but extremely good air-conditioning and ideally located for a day off.

Plan of action for Saturday is to get a good rest, get some washing done properly in the machine and stock up on calories!  Forecast is hot and sunny from now on, around 30 to 33°.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 113 km (70 miles)
Total: 618 km (384 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesThe riverside path after Macon is less a path and more a rough track, we know as we foolishly tried to ride it last year. Good thing you took small roads!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago