Day 0: Friday 16 June 2023 - Brighton to Dieppe via Newhaven - Brighton to Barcelona by bike - CycleBlaze

June 16, 2023

Day 0: Friday 16 June 2023 - Brighton to Dieppe via Newhaven

Heart 0 Comment 0

Brighton to Dieppe https://www.strava.com/activities/9276887839 

All three of us were up very early, was the only objective of having breakfast, getting the van loaded with the suitcases, have loaded the bikes last night, and the final thing was waiting for the postman to arrive hopefully with a set of spokes for my wheels as spares. No spokes, so off at 0915 for the drive to Brighton which took about two hours. The van we have rented was absolutely fantastic, with every extra known to man and super comfortable and easy to drive. I dropped Kathy and Dave with their bikes and our luggage at the meeting place near a park in a pretty part of Brighton, then drove to the car rental place a mile or two away.  Dropping off the van at Enterprise car rental, was a very easy task as they didn't even bother to inspect the vehicle, and I was back at the park by noon to meet all the other people, most of whom I had not met. Although we all had team jerseys, they have names on the sleeves, which will prove a real boon as we get to know each other. Around 19 or 20 of us, with about nine of those having Parkinson's, so some common ground to be discussed.

Off along the coastal path and fairly busy roads towards Newhaven, and a slightly hillier route than I had expected.  But only 16 KM and arrived in tons of time to get on the boat, which left at 4 pm. A bit tiring standing around in the sun.

Loading the bikes was no problem, as we went on first. We then all went and had a drink, and a little later some food. A 4 hr crossing so arrived at 8 pm UK time, 9 pm French time and after the current Brexit induced delays getting through passport control we were at the hotel by about 945. A basic modern hotel in the centre of Dieppe, which seems absolutely fine, with fast Wi-Fi and good air-conditioning.

My knee has held up okay, with a few twinges, but nothing serious. Tomorrow sees an immediate 100m climb straight out of town.  Plan is to get up early and try and beat the heat. 106km to do to Gisors.

Looking forward to getting the show properly on the road!

Ready to go
Heart 0 Comment 0
The team at Brighton pier
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brighton Pier
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brighton Pier
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the ferry
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 18 km (11 miles)
Total: 18 km (11 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0