Day 71 - Overcoming tourist shock in Labuan Bajo - Unfinished Business - CycleBlaze

July 10, 2023

Day 71 - Overcoming tourist shock in Labuan Bajo

Well, I've had a lazy day suffering culture shock in Labuan Bajo, a place that now has an airport, Starbucks, KFC, a million touts, various pubs and all manner of restaurants. Along with Bali, it's an essential stop if you want to say that you've done Indonesia. When you have seen nary a tourist for a long, long way, it's a shock. I feel so out of place: too old, no tattoos, riding a bicycle rather than a motorcycle (which people here tell me are fun!!), not smoking. Labuan Bajo has changed in 40 years! But there's an advantage of tourism - the guts of the place is clean.

Hang on, I did cycle two km. I don't know how I cycled up that hill last night only to find this guesthouse fully booked.

The view from my guesthouse. I am paying $20 a night for an A/C room and with breakfast!
Heart 5 Comment 2
Graham SmithThis cycle touring caper looks easy.
Think of those poor caravaners pushing into the headwinds of far western Qld then paying a fortune for a powered site at Big 4.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Ian WallisTo Graham SmithGraham, you're spot on! It was one of the highlights of my trip when a caravaner told me of his tough day.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
There's no wrong in advertising a bank on your mosque!
Heart 4 Comment 0
The tourist drag in Labuan Bajo.
Heart 4 Comment 0
And that compulsory Sunset view.
Heart 3 Comment 0

I remember the boat to Komodo weaving around islands of all dimensions sitting in the clearest water. Frightening currents rushed between them.

This rough map may give you an idea of the number of islands. Labuan Bajo sits in the northeast corner.
Heart 3 Comment 3
Graham SmithIan pls remind me again. How many of those islands will you by cycling across to reach Singapore?
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Ian WallisTo Graham SmithGraham, most of them, I hope! Now, seriously, Sumbawa, Lombok, Bali, Java, Sumatra.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Graham SmithTo Ian WallisPhew! That’s a relief.
Otherwise the ‘donation per island’ arrangement would have required a mortgage negotiation with the bank.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

I went for a wander around the port - fascinating places anywhere. I spotted this bike near a large, modern police boat.

Wouldn't you request a new saddle if you were the cop riding this machine?
Heart 5 Comment 0

As expected, there's a night market near the port selling a huge array of seafood that they cook in a variety of ways.

Apparently, the very best fish painters can demand large salaries in Labuan Bajo.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 2 km (1 miles)
Total: 5,498 km (3,414 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0