Day 66 - A wind along the coast and a climb to Boawae - Unfinished Business - CycleBlaze

July 5, 2023

Day 66 - A wind along the coast and a climb to Boawae

After a day when I must have done 1500 m of climbing, I'm having an easy one  - 40 km along the coast and then up to Boawae that sits 850 m above sea level and about 85 km from Ende. This is the trans-Flores highway for you. It skips from one side of the island to the other, and from the coast to the spine and back again.

I made my day tricky with a late start. There was no excuse because the call to prayer from the next-door mosque woke me early enough.

DASI Guesthouse - cheap and comfortable.
Heart 5 Comment 0

 But I've learned the layout of Ende quickly and easily found my way across town to the right bit of coast, passing some interesting art on the way.

A view across the stadium. Ende's coast sits on each side of the volcano.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Assisted calving????
Heart 4 Comment 1
John GrantPreg testing
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

I marveled at the geographic splendour. It's extraordinary! What a place to cycle!

Looking back on where I ate last night. The white thing is one of those scary ferries.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Suggest a caption!
Heart 5 Comment 4
Graham Smith“Renovator’s delight in this tightly held seaside hamlet. Make an offer. Open House on Saturday after call-to-prayer, or phone LJ Hooker for a brochure.”
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Ian WallisTo Graham SmithVery good!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Ian DouglasA view across the stadium.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Ian WallisTo Ian DouglasSorry, but I think Graham wins.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Ende, the low spot in the centre, from 20 km away.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A seaside village and an old wok.
Heart 5 Comment 0

But then I saw the filth. It occupied my thoughts - what's the answer? Surely, a carrot and stick approach - promote places that clean up their act; crucify those who don't? Should I even be here? 

It was at that point that I had the great fortune in meeting Tamas, a touring cyclist from Hungary. We discussed many subjects including garbage. He's as horrified as am I but warned that Lombok and Bali are far worse. Of course they are: more people, more garbage.

Tamas and I, 25 km west of Ende. He's on his way to Australia so I hope we meet again.
Heart 5 Comment 0

By the time we parted I had cycled 25 km and it was midday. I quickly did another 20 km, to the point that the road crossed a bridge and turned inland. It seemed sensible to eat before the climb.

Riverside washing - reminds me of India
Heart 4 Comment 0

I used my usual strategy on the steep climb: aiming at distances, first up 50 km. I managed that, had a short break and continued. I would have made 55 km if not for Bernard stopping to give me bananas but probably more for a chat.

Bernard - keen to chat; paid for it with bananas.
Heart 4 Comment 0

The climb was steep with no respite for 13 km. I enjoyed it! The road was considerably cleaner but was also relatively quiet. I could focus on climbing and leave other matters to rest.

It was close to 5.30 when I rolled into Boawae, guarded by Gunung Eubalobo, a 2000 m volcano that just arises.

Heart 4 Comment 0

With much help from Cora, I found Wisma Nusa Bunga Homestay, which is both attractive and basic. Don't expect luxuries like a towel or soap.

Wisma Nusa Bunga Homestay targets locals making it hard to escape smoke.
Heart 4 Comment 0

 I did a terrifying walk from my abode to find a restaurant. The place is pitch black and the drop from the road designed to turn ankles. I shortened my return, and kept away from the road, by cutting through the church and thus cutting across a switchback.

Today's ride: 88 km (55 miles)
Total: 5,179 km (3,216 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0