Day 23 - towards Camooweal and the Northern Territory border - Unfinished Business - CycleBlaze

May 23, 2023

Day 23 - towards Camooweal and the Northern Territory border

I have just had a marvellous day. Not only did I conquer all of my errands, including retrieving my phone number, but I had the great fortune of doing an interview with MOBFM. Who cares that they broadcast only to Mt Isa? I phoned them, whipped around, met the three J's - Jacob, a Torres Strait man, Jenny, a local Kalkadoon and Jannali, who describes herself as aboriginal and Maori. I did an interview with Jacob and then the three of us chatted before the mandatory photo outside. 

Jacob, Janalli and I outside MOBFM. Thanks Jenny for the photo.
Heart 5 Comment 3
Graham SmithTriffic photo.
Would be a great cover photo.
Cycle touring doesn’t get more Australian than this.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Ian WallisTo Graham SmithGraham, I agree. Had me smiling all afternoon. Ian
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Jackie LaycockFabulous photo!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

This meeting gave me the opportunity to ask about the monument that I mentioned yesterday and whether the bullet holes are vandalism. Jenny confirmed that they are. Here it is again.

The vandalised monument. I have trouble finding words to describe this action but Judy Small hits the target in her song "You don't speak for me".
Heart 3 Comment 0

I admired Mt Isa's industrialism that hangs over the town like some giant beast. Unfortunately it also spews lead all over the show.

Heart 1 Comment 0
This is just a small part; the mines go for kilometres and extract copper and silver-lead-zinc
Heart 2 Comment 0

It was 12.30 by the time I was cycling out of town and I was keen to at least halve the distance to Camooweal.

I thought 1606 km to Darwin; if I knock off 6 then it's just 1000 miles. I did that on a SUAB (sit up and beg) bike last time I was in California.
Heart 3 Comment 0

I set to doing 55 km in one go to a rest area, having a long break and then doing the same again. I could not have cycled harder, especially the last half hour.

The very pleasant WW2 rest area complete with bougainvillea. This road was built during the war. Why can't there be a rest area of similar quality at the Kalkadoon memorial?
Heart 3 Comment 0

The country flattened after Isa and the road straightened as it passed through eucalypt-acacia woodland. There was little traffic and the ride was most pleasant.

River red gums, of course, on a watercourse.
Heart 3 Comment 2
John GrantThose old camaldulensis have got a bit of range !
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Ian WallisTo John GrantA huge range - the most of any eucalypt. There's already four subspecies. Taxonomists wreck everything!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

Some readers will be pleased to know that it was a ZERO BUSTARD DAY. The avian highlights were two massive wedgetails I flushed near the road's edge. I finished with a terrific camp just 82 km from Camooweal and less than 100 from the NT border.

Camping 101: The red dirt looked soft but was rock hard. Thus, I used my old tent peg trick to pitch my tent. I carry one sturdy peg that will withstand a battering. I bash this in with a rock, remove it and slip a lightweight peg into the hole. I repeat this step until I have all lightweight pegs secure in the ground.

Today's ride: 114 km (71 miles)
Total: 2,661 km (1,652 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Paul Williams“Load of shite” that mate..hahaha
(Private joke)
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Ian WallisTo Paul WilliamsPaul
Are you that second-rate artist from the far south coast of NSW
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Paul WilliamsHahaha 👨‍🎨 🎨
Reply to this comment
10 months ago