Day 6: Rudkøbing to Halsted - Around Denmark with Kevin - CycleBlaze

July 9, 2023

Day 6: Rudkøbing to Halsted

We had a good night in the tent and woke to another sunny morning, had our usual muslei for breakfast and got ready for the day. It would be a slightly shorter one as we only had to get to Halsted where we would be stopping for a few days for the first family camp. Halsted was on the next island though and after 12 kilometres we reached Spodsbjerg where we would need to take a ferry as there was no bridge this time. Dea and I had been here before seven years ago and we especially remember playing mini golf while we waited for the ferry (I can’t quite remember who won though), and we thought it would be fun to play again now with Kevin. He thought it was more fun to stop at a park on the way into Spodsbjerg though because there was a trampoline.

Heart 5 Comment 0

It wasn’t a good place for a long break though so we put him back in his seat and rode another 500 metres to the centre of town. The mini golf course was there just as I remembered it, but the cafe that rented out the clubs was closed. But it was probably good that we couldn’t play mini golf in the end for two reasons. Firstly, every time we took a shot Kevin would have run after the ball and picked it up and run off with it and screamed if we tried to take it back off him. And secondly there was a really lovely little beach opposite that was a much better place to take a break. It was the first of the trip with real sand, and the clear water was almost reminiscent of the Caribbean. Sure, there were lots of jellyfish, but they were the kind that don’t sting at all, the kind you could pick up and run off with if you wanted.

Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

The ferry took 45 minutes and Kevin seemed to enjoy it a lot. Dea and I talked about how well the trip was going and how it felt like we weren’t in Denmark somehow. It’s funny how travelling can make you see the country you live in from such a different perspective.

Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

We were now on the bigger island of Lolland and it seemed to be a lot flatter than the other places we’d been so far. With Kevin asleep in the trailer we made relatively fast progress on some quiet straight roads until we reached Halsted and the family camp where we will be spending the next six nights. This is something that Dea’s extended family on her father’s side does every few years - a big get together with family and friends with games and activities and things while all staying at a boarding school in the countryside. The afternoon began with meeting an awful lot of new people, I think there are 60 or 70 here, not that many of which I have met before. Kevin took it all in his stride of course.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today's ride: 31 km (19 miles)
Total: 213 km (132 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0