Wrap-up, Though We're Not Quite Home - Escaping the Rain--In Spain - CycleBlaze

Wrap-up, Though We're Not Quite Home

I rather left the last post hanging, with us having arrived in Victoria sans luggage.

Al's brother picked us up a the airport and delivered us to my cousin's home, where we'd arranged to stay in her vacant basement suite on our return.  We'd needed to provide a quarantine plan as part of the return-to-Canada requirements and had left our car and other belongings there while we were away.  Good thing, as that meant we had clean clothes and other necessities (my cousin and her husband had even provided a few groceries).  I should add that I always, after the first time my bag didn't make a connection, carry a change of clothes in my carry-on on an outbound flight.

Our bags were delivered there just over 24 hours after we arrived ourselves.  We suspect that they were held for customs inspection in Vancouver.  One advantage of the Thule RoundTrip Pro XT cases is that they open easily for inspection and the contents can be seen without an. inspector needing to take everything out and then repack.

We spent the following week laying low, going out for walks every day and letting our bodies adjust to the time change.  My cousin's home in the Gordon Head area of Victoria is fairly close to where Al's family lived when he was a teenager so he knew all the public beach access points.

While we were away, we had received notice that the deficiency walkthrough for our new home might be scheduled in December so we were keen to be back in the Vancouver area as soon as possible.  We found a furnished basement suite, sadly in a very car-dependent neighbourhood but only 10 minutes' drive from our future home (or even a 10-minute ride since it's all downhill).  We moved in yesterday and now the tour is really a wrap.

Some random thoughts on Andalucia:

  • The people we met were very kind (Al's word).  I can't think of a single unpleasant encounter, except perhaps a couple of drivers (and we all know people change when they get into their metal boxes).
  • Drivers were, for the most part, courteous.  Being passed closely was a rare thing but it did happen.
  • The minor highways were for the most part, excellent cycling.  The Vias Verdes, however, were variable, to say the least.
  • We found the cuisine very repetitive, though perhaps that's because we didn't speak the language.  It seemed almost every restaurant offered their version of the same few dishes.
  • It would have been nice to try different wines or beers but the menus we were handed (or those linked by the ubiquitous QR codes on tables) never included a wine or beer list.  We could order a glass of wine or a beer, but didn't have the language to ask what might be available.
  • The vast majority of vehicles, or so it seemed, were smelly diesels.  I noticed exactly one hybrid car during the five weeks.   This is in strong contrast to Vancouver/Victoria, where a large and growing proportion of vehicles on the road are hybrid or fully electric.
  • Although we saw a number of wind turbines, we saw very few solar panels.  This seemed odd to us, because Andalusia has so much sun, even in the winter.  Why not harness that energy?  Almost every barn we saw in Germany in 2015 was covered in solar panels.
  • So much single-use plastic!  I'm not sure how much was due to Covid, but things like butter and jam always came in little, hard-to-open, sealed plastic tubs.  Most hotels provided plastic cups in the room, in sealed plastic bags.  Soap and shampoo too, again in sealed plastic packets that were impossible to open with wet fingers.  I guess we see these things differently than we did before, but coming from a place where many single-use plastic items are banned, it seems so wasteful.

And finally, I followed Scott's tutorial to create the multi-route map below.  The routes are based on our actual rides...

TTFN!

Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Steve Miller/GrampiesThanks for the wonderful tale, Jacquie and Al, and the answers to all our various questions. We are sitting by the computer, now 26 hours since our PCR test, anxiously awaiting the results. We are marveling at how you were able to cut the testing time so close.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Steve Miller/GrampiesAl did the booking of the tests. The lab promised results within 12 hours; had it been much more than that, we would have needed to get to Malaga a day earlier. The travel day is hazy but I think we needed a negative test result to board a plane, any plane, although we were focussed on the requirements to enter Canada. People were lined up for tests with their luggage (the testing site was in the airport) but I suspect they didn't need a PCR test.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Jacquie GaudetThe thing about PCR is that it is a chain procedure. They take the sample and do some magic that multiplies any virus. If they see nothing, they multiply again. After an agreed number of tries they give up and declare negative. Presumably a very tiny load could eventually be multiplied up. Anyway all that takes time, and I presume a very fast answer is a positive. But why our Mexican guys here say up to 48 hours is a mystery.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
David MathersWelcome home. Enjoy your new house...hope it's ready soon! Looks like the bikes may be parked for awhile but hope there is enough snow for skiing. On your next visit to Victoria, if you have time, let's get together for coffee and travel tales.
Merry Christmas
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo David MathersAbsolutely! We are still keeping ourselves to ourselves but can't wait for some social interaction.

Merry Christmas to you and Anne!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Ralph StiebelFantastic journal - thanks for sharing!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Ralph StiebelThanks, Ralph, and that goes for all your comments!

If touring interests you, there are lots of excellent journals on this site, both for vicarious entertainment and researching ideas for a potential trip.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Margie AndersonOk now I’m all caught up, just in time for your next trip. Thanks Jacquie for a great journal.
Margie
Reply to this comment
2 years ago