What we've planned - Amsterdam and then ... - CycleBlaze

What we've planned

The following is a tour that we took in July 2012, previously published on a different bicycle website. Again thanks to Jeff et al for making it possible to publish it here.

We have the privilege of living in Europe, Munich to be more exact, and for a European tour we don't have to make complicated plans for crossing the Atlantic with our bicycles and gear as my friends living in the USA do. Not having to commit ourselves to a departure date months in advance is a great advantage. We can cycle from our front door or else hop a train any time we want. The disadvantage is that we can vascillate endlessly about when and where we want to tour. Some days the Baltic countries and St. Petersburg sound tempting, other days we long for Slovakia and Slovenia. But no, France with its small roads and good food is the most ideal country for cycling. And didn't we want to meet up with our Dutch friends again?

The summer is short and we are getting older, we don't have a whole lot of summers left for our bucket list. I decided the philosophical approach was the best. It's all about being there. Where we are, that's where we are and that's the best place to be. Still we had to make a decision. One Sunday morning, we thought it might be nice to start in the Netherlands. There are many beautiful cities and towns that I still wanted to see, we have friends in the Hague, and from there we could set off in any direction except to the west. But that's where the wind comes from and we didn't want to go that way anyway. Not wanting to succumb to another bout of procrastination, we quickly hopped on our bicycles and pedalled to the train station. Within an hour we had train reservations for us and our bicycles on the 2nd of July to Amsterdam. We had committed ourselves to a date and location for the beginning of our trip.

From Amsterdam we will cycle to the Hague, and from there we have some plans, many plans. We have basically decided to head east and pick up the long distance bicycle route R1, also known as EuroVelo 2, which would take us from the Hague towards Berlin (altlhough occasionally we still entertain the idea of riding south to France). At some point we would ideally turn south and cycle back to Munich.

The R1 or EV2 We will cycle part of it.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Edit after the trip:

Me
Heart 1 Comment 0
Janos
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0