Schlitz to Schlüchtern - Amsterdam and then ... - CycleBlaze

July 22, 2012

Schlitz to Schlüchtern

Blue sky - need I say more after so many dismal mornings? We were thrilled. The air had a slight nip to it, a perfect day for riding.

Our hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our host recommended that before leaving town we have a look at Schlitz and the surrounding countryside from the top of the 36-meter medieval tower next to the church. There was an elevator to the top operated by a very knowledgeable citizen of the town who filled us in on the history of the region. We also learned that at Christmas time the tower is decorated to resemble a giant candle, listed in the Guiness Book of Records as the largest candle in the world.

The Hinterturm, Schlitz
Heart 2 Comment 0
View from the top
Heart 2 Comment 1
Heart 3 Comment 0
The tower-keeper guide
Heart 0 Comment 0

We followed the Fulda Bike Path under a brilliant blue sky with white cotton-ball clouds, corn and wheat fields lined the path, hills moulded the horizon. In the afternoon the first hills of the Rhön were waiting for us.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Rhön mountains in central Germany, partly a result of ancient volcanic activity, aren't high but it is a mountain range that we had to cross to reach the valleys of the Sinn and then the Main, involving two major climbs. Last year we did them both on the same day and it was a bit much. This time we decided to stop at Schlitz and save the second climb for the next day. A little worried that we were in for hard work, we were surprised when we reached the top - what, here already? The last six kilometers of the day were a short, fast downhill.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 802 km (498 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0