A Patch of Blue Sky: Werfen to Sankt Veit - Alpe-Adria Tour 2018 - CycleBlaze

August 31, 2018

A Patch of Blue Sky: Werfen to Sankt Veit

In the morning the weather doesn't look much better. It isn't raining when we wake up, but by the time we're ready to leave it is again pouring. We go back to our room and wait until it's time to check out. By then it's only drizzling and we decide to head to the train station and check out the train schedules. The weather forecast for the next day is rain all day long. While we're studying the ticket vending machine at the train station, I look up and see a patch of blue sky. We decide the hell with it, can't figure out how to buy tickets anyway, let's get on our bikes.

The day remains cool and cloudy, but we don't get wet once. Most of the day is flat as we follow the Salzach, only the last kms involve a stiff climb with beautiful scenery. There weren't too many hotels along this stretch and the Big Climb is coming up soon, where we cross the highest point on the tour. Bikeline has got me worrying about this, too. Very steep they say, and you might want to take the train to the top. We decided today wasn't the day to tackle it and booked in at a hotel more or less in the middle of nowhere, saving our climb for when we have fresh legs.

Rain or ride?
Heart 4 Comment 0
On the way to the train station, I spy my lucky number, 27.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One more view of Castle Hohenwerfen
Heart 7 Comment 0
No rain!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Views!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Panoramas!
Heart 7 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltBeautiful picture!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Vistas!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Wonderful little roads, and the rowan tree branches are heavy with berries.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Even though the clouds hide some of the mountain peaks, it's still a beautiful ride.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0