Train-ing - Taiwan - CycleBlaze

December 30, 2019

Train-ing

Mastering the MRT

Our second day of exploring Taipei’s many sights was on the bikes in the morning. Then the rain set in,  so we pedalled to the Main Railway Station to buy an MRT pass, and to also check out the High Speed Rail system as a way of exiting Taipei in a day or so. The rain continued to pelt down in the afternoon, so we  stored the bikes at the hotel and used the MRT to get around Taipei.

It was a full day of exploring the central city area by bike and on foot, then MRTed out to the nearby hills to check out the hot springs resort area.  We also wandered around a couple of the many Taipei night markets. 

By day’s end we decided to stay one more night in Taipei to see the New Year in, but tomorrow we’ll move to less grand accommodation closer to the main rail station.  

The impressive interior of the Main Railway Station in central Taipei.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Time to buy some chain oil. Our drive chains have been thoroughly drenched with water. Our Pacific Reach and the KHS bikes find some Taipei cousins.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The search for the perfect combination of corn chowder and dumplings continues.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We jumped on the MRT and headed for the hills.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hot spring fed stream
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This climate is good for plants
Heart 2 Comment 0
Similar looking to the dingo, Australia’s native dog.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Son Joe revelling in the rain. At home it’s been so oppressively hot and dry, the cool, wet conditions of Taipei are a great relief.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A local bookshop with a good number of English publications.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An interesting looking seafood serving at the night market.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Enjoying an excuse to wear my water proof hat.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rapid BBQ technique.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful fruits in the market.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Felt sorry for these snakes. Likely they were bound for some type of medicinal cuisine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An MRT station. Very efficient, clean and easy to use. We didn’t try taking our folding bikes on the MRT.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entry to the market near Longsan Temple
Heart 1 Comment 0
Night market seafood
Heart 0 Comment 0
Clear night after the rain. View from the hotel.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 15 km (9 miles)
Total: 55 km (34 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0