Day 22 - "and the morning sun was shining like a red rubber ball" - The Long Way to Cleveland - CycleBlaze

June 6, 2023

Day 22 - "and the morning sun was shining like a red rubber ball"

Heart 0 Comment 0

The title of today's entry is from the chorus of a song by The Cyrkle. (I'm pretty sure I still have the 45.)  I thought it was appropriate because the sun was red and did indeed look like a rubber ball. The smoke from the wildfires coming down from Canada has created a thick haze that has kept the temperature down and made it possible to actually look at the sun with the naked eye. Too bad there wasn't a full eclipse.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
At a convenience store stop.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Yours truly
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Colin BakerThe green shirt is much more visible. Good choice
,
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our goal for today is Lock 4 on the Champlain Canal, north of Albany. It's about 70 miles away, but it looks like the path is paved almost the entire way. 

This would be my last day riding with the youngsters from LA. They're actually not from LA but are from Chicago. They both work for a small coffee company. Cale is a roaster and packer, and I can't remember what Zach's role  is, but they both seem to enjoy their jobs. 

Cale generally starts his day with a couple of tokes off his pipe and repeats that with every break during the day. But he's very levelheaded and has a great sense of humor, which perfectly meshes with Zach's. They're a great team and a lot of fun to ride with. 

With the boys setting a good pace, we made it to the lock by 5:00, and got set up in a hurry, as the forecast was for thundershowers around 7:00. The showers arrived on schedule, so it was a very early to bed end of the day.

Heart 2 Comment 0



Today's ride: 70 miles (113 km)
Total: 1,509 miles (2,429 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0