Montefrío to Priego de Córdoba - Escaping the Rain--In Spain - CycleBlaze

November 13, 2021

Montefrío to Priego de Córdoba

We knew this was going to be a long day if we rode all the way to Priego de Córdoba as planned.  There were options to shorten the day, at the cost of a longer day tomorrow, but we managed to ride the full distance.  Our earliest start and latest arrival, I think.

It was a scenic ride for the most part.  We rode down towards Iznájar for lunch but decided we didn't need to ride up into the town when we had so much climbing to do without that. We had lunch at a tapas bar just before the bridge leading to Iznájar's peninsula. We think we might be getting this tapas thing now.  You order a drink and they bring your drink and a small plate of food. So when we each order a beer (large for Al, small for me), our drinks come accompanied by two tapas.  This didn't happen in the tourist towns but yesterday and today it's been great. Today we ordered a salad as well--it was very large so good that we only ordered one.

Leaving Montefrío
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cultivated cacti?
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltCorrect!

https://nopalverdura.com/en/index.html
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Bill ShaneyfeltInteresting. I might have to try it if I see it on a menu.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking down at Algarinejo
Heart 4 Comment 0
On the road somewhere
Heart 2 Comment 0
A good thing we ordered this to share! Spanish version of Caesar salad.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The least pleasant parts of the ride were between Iznájar and Rute.  The scenery was good but the A331 was busier than we've gotten used to and the two big climbs didn't help. We stopped in Rute for coffee (Al) and cola (me--first in decades!) and decided that we would carry on to Priego de Córdoba. It was a beautiful ride!

Looking down at the Iznájar reservoir
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
A col sign!
Heart 5 Comment 0
No, that's not just a regular rock outcrop up to the left...
Heart 4 Comment 1

Finding our accommodation in the city was the usual challenge. Now that we're here, we decided to eat at the restaurant and just stay in.

Live jazz with dinner, though we didn't get a view of the quartet from our table (pianist missing here).
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Margie AndersonWOW! Big beautiful day!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 83 km (52 miles)
Total: 638 km (396 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Scott AndersonYes, I remember this day well. It looks like you exactly reversed our route from Priego to Montefrio, 17 years ago. Six weeks earlier in the year, and way too hot. We couldn’t do this ride in one day now,I don’t think.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonI might have downloaded your route ;-)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathleen ClassenType your comment here
Reply to this comment
1 year ago