Summary Thoughts - Biking and Ferrying Across Finland's Aland Islands - CycleBlaze

Summary Thoughts

We had a great time and wouldn't change much - maybe a better job of ferry logistics. The routes were well planned, the places we stayed were all good and mostly great, and the food was phenomenal. We lucked out with excellent weather, though July is supposed to be the primo time for holiday on the Alands in any event. A tour there in June had mostly rain and high temps in the low 60s.

The routes wouldn't challenge A/B class riders but were perfect for couples at mixed riding levels. With a bit of planning, all the routes could be done without a touring company. If you did  50 -60 mile days you would have no problem planning lunch stops midway. Nothing is cheap in Scandinavia and that certainly held true in the Alands.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonThanks for posting this! I’ve wondered about these islands but have never read an account of visiting them. It looks like one to put on the wish list.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
John PescatoreTo Scott AndersonI would definitely go back and cycle the Alands again. When I do solo multi-day rides, I like to do 50 - 65 miles per day and I'm usually don't do much sightseeing. Very easy to have an itinerary that balances riding with sightseeing - many options.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago