Final Day: HavsVidden to Mariehamn - 40 miles - Biking and Ferrying Across Finland's Aland Islands - CycleBlaze

July 20, 2018

Final Day: HavsVidden to Mariehamn - 40 miles

One last ferry fumfer

The last day of cycling, and the last ferry ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We hated to leave HavsVidden, but the next morning we cycled 10 miles to Haloo where we waited for the ferry to Skarpnato.  It was a long wait, as the instructions showed 1100 ferry departure and we arrived just a bit after 10am - and the ferry wasn't really scheduled to pull in and leave until 1130. It was a pleasant and scenic 25 minute ride once we got underway.

There were about 10 other cyclists on the ferry, including one young couple carrying two babies - one in a trailer and another apparently hiding inside the mother of the one in the trailer. 

View from the Haloo/Skarpnato Ferry
Heart 0 Comment 0

Fourteen miles of biking on gorgeous back roads through the woods brought us to the Hammarland Church, which dates back to the 1200s. We passed several moose crossing signs, but saw no meese.

Exterior view of Hammarlund Church
Heart 1 Comment 0
Interior view of Hammarlund Church
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had our final picnic lunch there and then had 15 more miles of biking on busier roads and some bike trails into Mariehamn and our hotel on the harbor. A lot of construction was going on and we ended up abandoing the planned scenic route and riding the shoulder of the direct road into Mariehamn. One last Happy Joe's hit the spot.

One last Happy Joe's on Aland Island at Mariehamn
Heart 0 Comment 0

We explored Mariehamn a bit - it is the only actual city on the Alands, with a central shopping street but not much happening there. A decent dinner on the east harbor and it was time to go back to the hotel and pack for our flight to Helsinki.

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 180 miles (290 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0