Slowly easing into the journey - The ninth step ... Somewhere in South Africa - CycleBlaze

November 25, 2020

Slowly easing into the journey

Addo to just past Kirkwood

With only a short day ahead of us and a cloudy start to the day there was no incentive to hurry out of The Homestead's campsite.  We were on the road at eight thirty and slowly made out way along the R336 that leads from Addo to Kirkwood.  Although there was quite a bit of traffic the road has a good hard shoulder for most of the way and, where there wasn't one, the traffic was surprisingly considerate of us.  It isn't a particularly attractive road - it runs through intensive citrus groves and their associated pack houses - but it was a pleasant and stress free ride.

Lots of pack houses along the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Like yesterday, the morning was at first cloudy and cool but as we approached Kirkwood the sun made an appearance and it started to get a bit hotter. Once we got to Kirkwood we headed straight to the Kronenhof restaurant where we tucked into some cold drinks, cheesecake (Leigh) and a waffle (me).

Bicycles parked at the Kronenhof restuarant at the southern entrance to Kirkwood.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Yum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And more yum.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We took our time shopping for our groceries at the excellent Spar in Kirkwood before riding on to Nieshoutkloof campsite, about five kilometers outside of the town.  Reviews we have read have been iffy but we think it looks fantastic.  A lovely large lapa with picnic tables, a braai area and a fantastic farm-style kitchen with a comfy couch on which to relax.  We have the place to ourselves and are enjoying its comforts while we can.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Apart from a small climb of about 60 meters, the road from Addo to Kirkwood is mostly an almost imperceptible climb.  For this our legs were grateful.  Apart from a vague sensation of having done more exercise than usual the day before they coped quite well.  However, we have cycled more in the past two days than we had in the month preceding them. So we have planned a rest day for tomorrow before we tackle the longer and less pleasant leg to Wolwefontein.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 38 km (24 miles)
Total: 74 km (46 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0