Shake-out Day - A Tour of 9 Digits - CycleBlaze

September 8, 2023

Shake-out Day

The bikes are ready, but are we?

This mural of John Lewis is right across the street from our hotel.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Since none of us were particularly hungry after last night’s southern feast, we just went to the hotel cafe again. This time though, the food was less than satisfactory. They were out of “real” eggs so scrambled or omelets made using an egg mix were the only options. But the consistency of the eggs was powdery, like the mix had been done incorrectly. The waffles were tough and the waitress was nice but not exactly competent. We won’t be eating here again.

The next order of business was to drop Amber and Rich off to pick up their bikes, which they rode back to the hotel. Jim and I then returned the rental car and took a cab back to the hotel. Then we all went for a little ride to shake-out the bikes and ourselves. 

Downtown Rochester is torn up with construction on a new river-front designed to improve business and tourism and generally revive the downtown neighborhood. From what has been done so far, it looks like it will be beautiful when it is completed but right now it is a hot mess to navigate through, and many businesses and restaurants are closed.

We rode in both directions up and down the river, trying to stay on the river bike trail, but it was closed in several areas due to the construction. But we got nice views of the Lower falls and High falls. We also spotted an interesting Italian restaurant that could be a possible place for dinner. Most importantly, we determined that the bikes are ready and we reminded our legs that, yes, we are cyclists.

Later in the afternoon, while Jim was napping and Rich was reorganizing, Amber and I took a stroll through the High falls historical district, which is adjacent to downtown. There we saw artifacts of channels or “races” cut or built to channel river water to drive waterwheels that powered mills and factories in the early settlement that eventually became Rochester.

For dinner the four of us walked to the Italian restaurant named Pane Vino. We arrived before 6pm and it was only about 1/3 full, but we were rudely and unapologetically turned away for lack of a reservation. The valet outside was very sweet and he recommended another restaurant on the next block called Tapas. There we were welcomed very warmly and had a lovely meal. The food is best described as “fusion” with Italian and Caribbean influences, and it was very good. The desserts were spectacular! We left very satisfied and would happily recommend Tapas. 

Tomorrow we leave Rochester and head for Mount Morris. The weather has cooled down to low 60’s to low 70’s with scattered rain showers. Today a line of thunderstorms passed south of here late in the afternoon but it did not rain here at all. We are hoping for similar weather tomorrow. 

Lower Falls
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Seat of Forgetting and Remembering. An interesting find in Lower Falls park.
Heart 2 Comment 0
High Falls
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Waterwheel artifact
Heart 2 Comment 0
Schematic of a pit waterwheel setup.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Remains of a deep pit used to channel water to one or more water wheels.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Here is a little moving taste of our shakeout:

https://youtu.be/haq_jOkCRww?si=EMYli48485PdWvOx

Today's ride: 7 miles (11 km)
Total: 7 miles (11 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 1
David McCormickWow, the falls are incredible.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago