Day 1-Rainy, but a good day nevertheless - A Tour of 9 Digits - CycleBlaze

September 9, 2023

Day 1-Rainy, but a good day nevertheless

Rochester to Mount Morris Village

Pre-ride smiles all-a round
Heart 4 Comment 0

The weather forecast was for possible, occasional light rain ( 0.04”) every 4-5 hours today. As we rolled out of Rochester, there was a very light mist in the air, not even enough to wet the pavement. Even this dissipated within a couple of miles. The temperature was mild-about 65-and stayed pretty much the same all day. 

We traveled south along the Genessee river on a bikepath through what appeared to be very nice residential areas. At the edge of town we encountered a firefighter training facility and then a large number of friendly army recruits who were running on the path.

Once the bike path ended, we hopped onto Scottsville Rd. and followed it to Scottsville, where we then turned onto River Rd.  The entire ride was essentially through rolling fields of corn and soybeans. River Rd. gave way to Batzing Rd. and we went past a small dairy that was part of Batzing Farms. Their veal calves were each housed with his own tent right alongside the road.  Eventually we turned onto Casey Rd. and then back onto River Rd. which we followed all the way to Mount Morris Village.

At mile 21 it began to rain and continued to rain for the rest of the day. The rain was light to moderate but it persisted for the rest of the day. We all donned our rain jackets but because the air temperature was so mild, we never added rain pants or booties. The road surfaces were smooth, the scenery was lovely and there was almost no traffic until we got to Mr. Morris; it really was an enjoyable ride, even for us weather-weeny Californians. 

Once we changed into dry clothing, we needed to find lunch. Mt. Morris is pretty small, so our choices were to hike a mile one direction to Brian’s cafe, or a mile the other direction into the business district for other options (a tavern, a lasagne joint or a gluten-free bakery.) We opted for town and ended up at the tavern for a very enjoyable meal that, being late in the day, we decided to treat as an early dinner. We took desserts as take-out for later.

We are staying at the Country Inn and Suites which appears to be a nice, newer facility that includes breakfast! The room (2 queens) is big, with plenty of room for bikes. We are here for 2 nights-tomorrow’s ride is a loop through the nearby Letchworth state park. The weather is for possible to probable rain depending on the service.

Seen leaving Rochester
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Soybeans, we think?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Batzing Farm calf
Heart 4 Comment 0
No, we did not enter.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Entering Mount Morris village
Heart 6 Comment 0

Join us:

https://youtu.be/tyEwf8esWD8?si=SjiyYSkLA7eJk0BH

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 44 miles (71 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Rachael AndersonSorry you got rain!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Scott AndersonCopycats! WE had rain, WE stayed at the Country Inn. Good luck with the weather tomorrow. Does it always rain there, I wonder?
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Genny FoxHi Scott,
We had no rain today and a perfectly wonderful ride through Letchworth. We are hopeful for a few more dry days this week🤞
Reply to this comment
8 months ago