Bonus Day - A Tour of 9 Digits - CycleBlaze

September 7, 2023

Bonus Day

Side trip to Niagara Falls

Looking down on the mist trail, Bridalveil Falls
Heart 6 Comment 0

When we were conceptualizing this trip, we thought it would be a shame to come all this way and be so close and not see Niagara Falls. Hence, this side trip, which became our primary reason to keep the rental car for an extra day.

So after  a fitful night with very little sleep, Jim and I met Amber and Rich for breakfast at the hotel cafe. While not very busy, the cafe is convenient and inexpensive (as compared to California prices.) For example, I had 2 eggs, 4 slices of bacon, hash browns, and toast for $8. Not fancy, but tasty and filling.

After breakfast, Amber and Rich’s bikes, still in boxes, were left at the Full Moon Cyclery to be reassembled. About midday we began the 80 mile trip to the falls. 

The fastest route was all freeway, except, it wasn’t exactly free. Portions of the route are tolled. It is all done automatically as we never saw any tollbooths. I recall skimming through something about this in the rental car agreement, so I expect an additional charge for this plus a fee of some kind on a future MC bill. 

By 2pm we were viewing the American side of the falls which is called Bridalveil Falls. It is stunning! The sheer volume of water is astonishing and beautiful. We first walked out on an observation deck and then took an elevator down below the falls so we could walk up a trail close to the plunging water, getting completely soaked in the process. The weather here is in the low 80’s, with high humidity, so this soaking felt cool and refreshing. 

After coming back up to the top of the falls, we caught a view of the Rainbow bridge, which goes over the Niagara chasm between the US and Canada. With the falls in the foreground and the sun behind us, we could see a rainbow within the fall’s mist. Very cool!

Then we crossed over the river to Goat Island to view the Canadian “Horseshoe” Falls. From the US only a portion of these falls is visible but it is clearly the more classic, plunging falls. We rounded out the afternoon with a walk along the rapids.

Back in Rochester, we all overate dinner at Dinosaur Barbecue, where they serve good, hearty southern cuisine and are very successful if the crowds are any indication.

Tomorrow we will be doing some riding, to both shake out our bikes and to see some sights around Rochester. 

We liked the signage on the back of this truck.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This was shot in B&W by accident but it looks kind of artistic.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Birds in the shallows of the rapids
Heart 6 Comment 0
This Rainbow bridge goes to Canada.
Heart 9 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Amber and Rich
Heart 5 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0