Off to Toulouse - Six weeks in Europe - CycleBlaze

June 7, 2023

Off to Toulouse

Our time in Bagnère de Luchon has come to a close so we are off to Toulouse for a day before going to Les Magnolias for phase 2 of this trip and more cycling.  We arrived about noon but getting to our hotel was a challenge.  There 2 closed roads in our way so after walking to the hotel to get directions we eventually got there by going the wrong way on a one way street.  

Toulouse is known as the pink city because most of the building are made from some shade of red brick that flows pink in the morning  and evening.  Of course it is also the home of aeronautical giant Airbus.  The city is situated on the Garonne River and the Canal du Midi.  There is a well know cycle route from Toulouse to Bordeaux along the Canal du Midi.

It was a hot afternoon so to save our legs and to see more of the city we took a tourist wheeled train around the city which had English commentary.  



The basilica of Saint-Sernin
Heart 0 Comment 0
The greened domed building is a former hospital dating back to the 12th century.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The hospital is on the left bank of the Garonne River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the river, the hospital and the St Pierre bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More buildings and streets in Toulouse
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Capitole in the city center. It is the city hall and has been since the 12th century. It is a good example of the brick structure with stone that come from the Pyrenees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
D&L in front of the Capitole.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A statue of Joan of Arc, the patron saint of France.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A local fountain near our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are some beautiful boulevards lined with plane trees (aka sycamores)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Heather ParryOur family calls those little tourist trains “ Loser Cruisers”. But sometimes they are the best way to see the sights.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago