More of Annecy - Six weeks in Europe - CycleBlaze

June 18, 2023

More of Annecy

LI started the day with an early walk to take unencumbered photos when it was also much cooler. After a quick croissant breakfast Patti and I did the loop around the lake from Annecy.  It is pretty flat but there is one 5% climb part way around in our direction or 10% in the other direction.  Before doing the ride we had a little WAA time trying to find the trailer station to book tickets for tomorrow but more about that later.  The ride was lovely but because we got a later start than planned it was a little busy with all sorts of cyclists especially on the return leg.  They don’t call out when passing here they just expect you to ride to the right.  Also they pass on the left sometimes with oncoming cyclists so you better be prepared and have good cycling skills.  It is the same on the highways.  You drive on the right unless passing and once you pass someone you move over, you do NOT sit in the left lane.  Back to the cycling.  It was a lovely ride around the lake with one stop at a bike rental place/café for a cold drink.  Once back in town we showered, had lunch, and wandered some more.  Now I am settled in the room for the night.

Now to the train story.  It was our plan to take the train from here to Geneva only 44km away but we can’t take our bikes on the train until late afternoon and it is going to take over 2 hours with 2 trains.  We have decided to forget that and take a driver again.   We went to the train station to buy tickets but the office was closed because it is Sunday so I tried the machines.  After at least 4 tries and 20 min I gave up, but I did find out the timings noted above.  The drive door to door will take less than an hour but it will cost 160€.  It will be worth every Penny to avoid the hassles.

The local cyclists were out early for their ride this morning, this was about 7AM.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Same photo as yesterday but less people.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Again
Heart 0 Comment 0
I love these outdoor fitness areas
Heart 0 Comment 0
The route for today minus the WAA time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Annecy from across the lake
Heart 0 Comment 0
An island castle with water sports in the foreground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our café stop
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Basilica on the hill over Annecy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I toured the castle and had some more culture. This a 1621 painting called Massacre of the Inocents.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another painting in the gallery in the castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from the castle this afternoon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the castle that dates back to the 14th century when it was the residence of the Counts of Geneva. It was acquired by the city in 1953 to become a museum.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This ice cream placed has been lined up every time we walked by. There are many others nearby so I don’t know why this one is so special.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The pool at our hotel, I have not bothered with it.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 1,561 km (969 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0