Day 18 - Arnhem to Schoonhoven - Six weeks in Europe - CycleBlaze

July 8, 2023

Day 18 - Arnhem to Schoonhoven

We left Arnhem early this morning because it was going to be a long day and it was going to get hot, and it did.  We started the morning with some lovely shady sections including a long stretch through a beautiful national park.  In addition to our trail there were multiple mountain biking tracks throughout the forest.  Once we came out of the forest most of the route was then on top of dykes that were paved and marked with cycle routes.  On that not we learned that in the Netherlands it is illegal to ride on the road if there is a cycle path.  We also learned that there are 2.5 bikes for every person in this country.  Bikes are absolutely everywhere and you had better hold your line and know how to ride or you will get run over.  As we left Arnhem I managed to find the Commonwealth Cemetery related mostly to operation Market Garden made famous in the movie A Bridge To Far.  I spent a few minutes and signed the book of remembrance.  

Other stops today included and amazing Apple strudel and ice cream stop.   Of course there was a well deserved beer at the end.  

Today’s ride and profile. This is the most climbing that we have done in a while. It was also very hot by the end and there was no shade. (36C/97F)
Heart 0 Comment 0
This sign was on the theatre building in Arnhem.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An old church that is now a museum. You can see by the different stone that it was repaired after the bombing during the war.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the building there is this memorial to the paratroopers
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another interesting church now a museum that I spotted on my morning walk about 6AM.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The church from the other side again early this morning
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Airborne centre in the foreground and the John Frost bridge in the distance. LCol John Frost was the Airborne regimental commander ordered to hold the bridge until the allies met up with him. He could not hold out long enough and had to surrender.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Arnhem cemetery
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is beautifully maintained
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Apple strudel and ice cream part way through the ride.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonOh, I want some! Yummy
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
On the ride today
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lovely use for an old bicycle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti on the dyke road. They are only 1 car wide once you put on 2 bikes lanes. The cars yield to each other if bikes are in the way. I can’t imagine this working in Canada.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of several locks on the canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A smaller canal that passes through the village of Vreeswijk was being put to good use with water sports.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My reward at the end of the ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 105 km (65 miles)
Total: 257 km (160 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0