Day 19 - The Hague - Six weeks in Europe - CycleBlaze

July 9, 2023

Day 19 - The Hague

Passed around Rotterdam

I Today was really the last big ride.  We all started out pretty tired mostly because last night’s hotel did not have AC so it was HOT and there was loud annoying music playing until 2AM, so sleep was not good.  We started in Schoonhoven, passed through Rotterdam, turned right at the Hook of Holland and finished on the beach on the outskirts of The Hague.  It was much cooler today with mostly a tail wind.  We have been lucky all trip with the winds with only a few days of head winds.  Passing through Rotterdam was interesting and I was very thankful is was Sunday.  The number of cyclists of all shapes, sizes and abilities here is amazing and a bit frightening.  No one lets you know they are coming, the faster rides are aggressive riders and they know where they are going.  The slower ones often on e-bikes ride side by side making it harder to pass.  With motor scooters and all the bikes you have to have your head on a swivel and you have to be very alert all the time to avoid a crash.

After negotiating Rotterdam more or less we headed for the coast.  About 10km from the coast you could start to smell the sea air.  From the Hook of Holland we rode through the sand dunes passing many beach goers and various beach access points.  We reached our destination just before a short rain shower so our timing was good this time.

The final serious ride since tomorrow is just getting to Amsterdam to prepare for the home trip. The bumps at end were fun lops though the sand dunes, photos later.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I took the opportunity to tour about Schoonhoven before breakfast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of several canals that connect to the river
Heart 0 Comment 0
This town is famous for its silversmiths. This sign was above the door of a local merchant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The town hall built in the 1452 and where the last witch was killed in 1591.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A bronze statue to the silversmiths
Heart 0 Comment 0
Before we headed off this morning we were all smiles despite the lack of sleep.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A well preserved field of old fashioned windmills across the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering Rotterdam
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had to use a bicycle escalator and stairs at one point. Here is one our three tandem couples negotiating the thing. The trick was hold your breaks while it helped you.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The boat museum and some funky cubic apts.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A statue in the Hook of Holland dedicated to the many Jewish families who left here for England before the war but escaping the Nazis.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beach at The Hook with modern day windmills. The Dutch use a great deal of wind and solar energy
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding in the dunes. There is a well laid out path with fencing on either side to protect the dunes from other uses. There are separate bike and foot paths.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti in the dunes and you can see the wind does blow some sand onto the pathway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the dunes which are protected by electrical fences.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our Texas tandem couple in the dunes
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 91 km (57 miles)
Total: 152 km (94 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0