Day 17 - Finally in the Netherlands - Six weeks in Europe - CycleBlaze

July 7, 2023

Day 17 - Finally in the Netherlands

Arnhem tonight

Today was the second longest day of the tour but the longest for me since a took the train for part of the last one.  It was supposed to be 117km but we got a 5km bonus caused mostly by construction detours.  Just what you need on a long day.  This was the longest ride that I have done since before the pandemic.    It was a long day in the saddle but the weather was good and we had a slight tail wind.  Most of the day was rural or wetlands.  We did pass through Xanten the only town in Germany beginning with an X.   Its roots date back to the Romans.  We are now in Arnhem famous to the failed airborne a raid known as Operation Market Garden and made famous in the movie, A Bridge Too Far.

Today’s route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another lovely stork nest
Heart 1 Comment 0
A windmill in the town of Xanten.
Heart 0 Comment 0
From the front side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of St Viktors across the lake in Xanten. The church was started in 982 and finished in 1263.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Queuing up for the ferry across the Rhine from Germany to the Netherlands.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here it is returning and dodging a large barge on the Rhine.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 122 km (76 miles)
Total: 379 km (235 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Gail JohnsonCongratulations on your record breaking mileage ride. Well done.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago