Avignon - Six weeks in Europe - CycleBlaze

June 15, 2023

Avignon

Sadly we left our new family at Les Magnolia to begin the next phase of our adventure which starts with a visit to Avignon.  It was a fantastic week at Les Magnolias and I am certain that I will be back.  I can’t sing the praises enough about Claudia and her wonderful hotel and staff.  Merci  bien!!

I thought that I had booked a place in Avignon proper but it turns out that we are in Villeneuve lez Avignon which is across the Rhône from the town itself.  As it turns out we are all happy.  I have never been here during D&L didn’t care since we are ll winding down this part of the trip.  We are in a very cute old hotel and we had wonderful pizza dinner, since after a week of French cooking we were looking for a change.  Linda and I wandered up to the Fort Andre to see the structure and to get an amazing view of Avignon.  We could have gone to the abbey next door but a beer was calling me.  Tomorrow we return to Lyon for me to meet up with Patti and for D&L to begin their journey home.

As we departed this morning we had a group photo with Claudia and Kari.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the drive to Avignon we passed by the one and only true Rochefort cheese factory/caves. This monument in the round about by the factory pays homage to the cheese which is made from sheep’s milk.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Avignon from the Fort across the Rhône
Heart 1 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesThat's a rare perspective for the average Avignon tourist!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
The Phillipe tower on our side of the Rhône
Heart 0 Comment 0
Up in the castle ramparts.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Linda with Avignon in the background
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another closer up view of Avignon and the famous seat of the pope.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A middle age toilet in the castle, a true long drop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ceiling in the castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Linda in the spiral staircase
Heart 0 Comment 0
The church across from where we had our pizza dinner.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0