Peyre to Plaisance - Six weeks in Europe - CycleBlaze

June 14, 2023

Peyre to Plaisance

Today was our last ride at Cycling Magnolias so we made it a very special one.  Again with the help of our amazing host Claudia we drove to the village of Peyre and rode back to Plaisance.  It was 82 km with 1000m/3200’ of climbing.  This was the longest and hardest ride that D&L have ever done.  It was supposed to rain but it didn’t however we rode all day into a pretty good head wind.  Not that much on an issue on an e-bike but the sound in your ears for 5 hours is tiring unto itself.  The wind was strong enough that even on a 2% downhill grade you had to pedal.

Peyre is another ancient village on the France Most Beautiful Villages list.  It is well known for having had Troglodytes (ancient cave dwellers) living there over the centuries.    Once toured the village we set off on our ride through Tarn gorge.  It was a beautiful ride, one that I have done before in the reverse direction on another 2 week cycle tour in France called the Gorgeous Gorges.  We flooded the river most of the way crossing back and forth several times until we headed back up over a hill and down into Plaisance.  We were all on e-bikes today but it still was not an easy ride.  We weren’t sure how well the batteries would hold out so we managed our effort and battery use until the last climb.  We all made it with 2 or 3 bars to spare.

We are off to Avignon tomorrow and then Lyon on Sat where I meet up with Patti.  D&L fly home on Sat.

Approaching the Peyre, the Troglodyte village.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The new church on a few hundred years old.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A clock dating back to the 16th century
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the Tarn valley from the village
Heart 0 Comment 0
A window inside the Troglodyte church
Heart 0 Comment 0
A contrast in eras. The famous Millau bridge from the window in the Troglodyte church.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Outside the Troglodyte church. It is built into the rock wall.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A model of the building in the village with the bridge behind. The Millau bridge is the longest of its kind in the world.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the bridge over the Tarn. Autoroute to Spain runs on top of it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Off we go from Peyre
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the route we passed a few small waterfalls
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road ahead down in the gorge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another waterfall in the gorge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are now truly down in the gorge and the cut in the trees going up the hill in the distance is the route that we climbed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me and the valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped for refreshments in Le Truel. My typical drink when cycling in Europe is a mixture of sparkling water and Orangina, fluids and a few energy calories.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We passed through 3 tunnels today so the headlights on the e-bikes came in handy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Claudia very kindly celebrated our week with this lovely bottle of Champagne. It comes from a very small private collection.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Enjoying the champagne at the end of our cycling adventure courtesy of Claudia.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 82 km (51 miles)
Total: 1,643 km (1,020 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0