Shanxi - 5,000 years of history - CycleBlaze

April 11, 2019 to April 15, 2019

Shanxi

Avoiding all the trucks

(Edit: More photos)

I installed a new chain. But some gears in the cassette is already quite worn. So, until the new chain wears out a bit, I can only use gears 1,2,3 and 8. Fortunately the area is quite flat, so I pedal mostly in top gear.

I spend quite a bit of time looking at the map to find quiet rural roads that head north. When I find something that looks promising, I test them with the routing app to make sure they are through roads.

I also avoid the dreaded trucks by cycling through towns and cities. If the trucks aren't outright banned, there will often be separated lanes for bicycles and scooters.

But unfortunately there are some places where I had to get on trucking roads and endure the noise and the dust while concentrating hard to stay as far right as possible.

These guys are at the head of a marriage procession. They throw strings of firecrackers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Loess Plateau overs much of Shanxi Province. The soil is sandy that was deposited by wind millions of years ago. It's easy to plough, but prone to erosion.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The surface of this bridge is railway sleepers. Horrible.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lot of plastic covering is used in agriculture throughout the countries. The hot houses seen here are on a much larger scale than seen elsewhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many streetlights have solar panels. The curved shape seen here are unusual.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A herder with his flock and his dog
Heart 0 Comment 0
This truck can set off firecrackers as it goes e.g. at the head of a wedding procession.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A man lowers the barrier at a level crossing. He is stationed permanently here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
He signals the train that the crossing is clear.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Veneer factory
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another level crossing
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another accident
Heart 0 Comment 0
It looks European
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dance at 9 pm on a Saturday night
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pingyao old city
Heart 0 Comment 0
So many seeds in the air
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sometimes I walk into a restaurant and point at someone's food to order. When I pointed as this bowl, it turns out that it was going a begging. So I could start slurping immediately.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some more locals
Heart 0 Comment 0
A man flying a kite in Taiyuan, a city of 5 million.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A railway bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
I felt a little bit safer drafting behind this electric tricycle. Trucks had to give me more space.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A river front in Xinzhou
Heart 0 Comment 0
This "road" courtesy of Baidu maps.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Most of this 60 km rural road was in good condition and truck free. For some reason, the trucks really ruined this section. The residents responded by placing rocks and boulders on the edge of the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 614 km (381 miles)
Total: 3,640 km (2,260 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0