Domain Du Griffier to Parthenay - The Fab 3 in France 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 26, 2023

Domain Du Griffier to Parthenay

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today we were all back on the bike. Kathy was still not feeling great but did not want to miss out on any more great riding. We took our time getting ready to head out and planned on taking the day easier so as not to set Kathy back.

Our first stop was Niort for a grocery restock. I stayed with the bikes while Kathy and Maddie went shopping. They returned soon after with arms full of goodies for our breakfast and lunch. After having bread and croissants every day for breakfast we were all craving some cereal and milk and the store did not disappoint suppling us with a box of Cheerios.

We have been lamenting not bring our front panniers so we decided to head to a bike shop before the 12pm witching hour to see if we could pick up a pair. On the web the bike shop looked good with a 4.6/5 rating and lots of touring looking bikes and bags. We made it to the shop before 12 but unfortunately the shop was closed for 4 days.

Still it was not a wasted trip to the bike shop as it was on a canal and a great spot for our breakfast/lunch. I do love a good water view for our meal. Unfortunately I was too busy eating and forgot to take a photo.

After Niort it was back out into the country side with wheat fields and glorious views for a very pleasant few hours of cycling. We stopped a couple of times and took the hills at an easy touring pace to make sure Kathy did not get too tired by the day.

Passing through another small town
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maddie checking what the crop is. Sunflowers!
Heart 0 Comment 0
More great roads.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back together again.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The roads are so quiet that you could be riding on a bike path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Snack time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Even some shade in the afternoon as the sun got warmer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maddie getting her cat fix at the 2nd bike shop we stopped at.
Heart 0 Comment 0

By 4 we had made it to our B&B for the night. The B&B had a locked garage we were able to put our bikes in and then they showed us to the gorgeous rooms in the old renovated building looking up to the city ramparts.

Our B&B for the night. Maddie's room is the two square windows and ours are the two round windows at the top.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside our room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The citadel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maddie's afternoon desert. It was soaked in brandy so not a good choice.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old timbered house in the historic quarter.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 129 miles (208 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0