Pathernay to Thouars - The Fab 3 in France 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2023

Pathernay to Thouars

Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a nice breakfast with some good coffee and the best croissants yet. They tasted so good I might have eaten one or two more than was prudent for the length of ride we had today.

Our host had offered to wash our clothes last night but at breakfast they were still being dried. By the time we would have liked to leave we were still waiting for the drier to finish. By the time we got them packed and the bike loaded it was 11:30. A much later start that I like but as we had lots of daylight it was not a problem.

Today we followed the Velo Francette, a long designated bike route. Being on the bike route meant many quiet roads and some dedicated bike paths. The road surface varied widely from smooth pavement to loose gravel but as usual the scenery was spectacular, the roads where quiet and the towns small.

First car we had passed all day and this was after about and hours riding
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bridge across the river Theot in Geourge
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had some good luck today. As I was calling a lunch break Maddie had checked out the up coming town and found a restaurant that said it was open. We happily skipped the day old bread we were carrying and road on the the restaurant. We had a great lunch in a quiet town square under the umbrellas.

Lunch in the square
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our restaurant
Heart 0 Comment 0
My desert, Caramel ice cream on brioche bread that melted in your mouth.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maddie went for the chocolate.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our after noon was spent on more cycle path with lots of small rolling hills. The hills added up to considerable more than Komoot had warned us about so by the time we arrived at Thoueras the last very steep hill to get up to the town seemed like hard work.

Bike path
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the first gravel we have had
Heart 0 Comment 0
This section was paved by rough
Heart 0 Comment 0
The pace line
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of shaded sections
Heart 0 Comment 0
Reminds me of Ireland with grass growing down the middle of the paved road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding along the river
Heart 0 Comment 0

We checked into yet another beautiful B&B this time run by and English woman who offered to book us into a restaurant in the church square. She said it would be busy tonight as Monday is a public holiday and there are lots of people in town.

Our B&B for the night.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our room, maybe should have moved the yellow bags, they spoil the look somewhat.
Heart 0 Comment 0

On our walk to the restaurant we noticed the town was a bit down on its luck with lots of shops closed and the ones that remained in use struggling. It was a pretty town but felt a bit warn around the edges.

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 170 miles (274 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0