Chinon to Azay-Le-Rideau - The Fab 3 in France 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 29, 2023

Chinon to Azay-Le-Rideau

Heart 0 Comment 0

The day started with another fantastic breakfast and an ever increasing waist line. Our host Maurice provided lots of coffee, multiple types of cereal, cold meats, cheese, yoghurt, fresh fruit, died fruits. 4 or 5 different types of bread and brioche and of course croissants. If you could not find one of you favorite breakfast items at Maurice's table then you just were not looking hard enough. 

When we checked in the night before Maurice had taken our water bottles and this morning they were waiting for us full of nice cold water. The hotel building was started in the 15th century but there were signs everywhere saying it was a private residence and he did not want photos taken inside so no photos to show (almost).

My illegal breakfast court yard photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I got corned by a very nice and extremely outgoing Chinese man at breakfast. He was one of four Chinese people traveling together and as we started talking he had a fairly strong accent and I asked where he was from expecting somewhere like Hong Kong, but no, he was from Sydney Australia, my old home town. I had a long conversation with Ken at the breakfast buffet about the US, Australia, which university I went, why I had selected Sydney University rather than NSW university which he had attended and Sydney in general. 

After we finished breakfast and sat in the outdoor courtyard enjoying our coffee. Ken came out again and we continued for another half hour getting to meet his wife and talk about travel plans. We went back up to our room and packed up and returned to the entrance only to have Ken corner Kathy in the breakfast room again for another in depth conversation ending only when the rest of his party got sick of waiting for him and demanding he come along. 

Ken would be a real treat to travel with as there would never be a stranger left in a place once he had been there for a while. We have a good friend Brian who starts a conversation with everybody he meets but I think I have now meet someone that takes that skill to a whole new level.

 So after an eventful breakfast we started riding and every route I tried on Komoot started with a big climb up to the fortress. So I had a good thought, let's try and fit the ultra long Dorthy into the lift that takes you from the town up to the fortress level. As hard as I pushed and tilting her up on an angle there was always a foot too much of her for the doors to close. So back out of the lift and up the very steep road. I meant to stop and take some photos of the outside of the fortress as we passed but my golden rule of never stopping on a hill came out and we just powered on up. It was probably lucky we did not stop as there was no way we would get going again on such and incline.

With the hill conquered the first thing we did was stop. There was an Aldi open and we have learnt long ago never miss a chance to to pick up food while the stores are open.

The wheat fields were our friends again today. Some just starting, others not far from harvest and others a mix of wheat and poppies. Our host at our hotel tonight said the poppies are only just starting to bloom and give it another couple of weeks and the fields will be covered with red.

Poppies amongst the wheat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Morning bike trail next to the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0

About half way through our short ride today we arrived at the first of our big name chateaux for the tour, Chateau Usse. Not wanting to get too jaded by excessive chateaux touring we choose to view this one from the outside as we road past.

The road to Chateau Usse
Heart 0 Comment 0

I have a love for water and water views and as my wife often likes to point out I may have even once or twice extended our days riding just to include such a view. Today I was looking for a lunch spot by the river with a nice view but got voted down due to the perceived danger of bug bites. Maddie is still sporting a collection of bites from her first encounter with the local fauna and she does not want any more.

Our lunch spot with an almost water view. The river is only 100 feet away behind that hedge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kathy enjoying some helmet free riding on the bike path.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After getting to our hotel we headed to the Chateau Azay-Le-Rideau. We toured the building first and then the gardens to admire the outside. The building is a work of art and the park surrounding superbly compliment the building.

Chateau Azar-Le-Rideau
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our host for the night recommend a restaurant several doors down towards the chateau. The tables were placed on the grass at the back of the church with a lovely garden along the wall. The food was delectable. We all started with Tarte Tatin de Tomato which consisted of a slow roasted tomato on a layer of goat cheese and a small pastry base. As a lover of all things tomato the flavor was divine. For the main I had beef which was melt in you mouth soft with a reduction sauce that I would love to know how it was made. Once again I forgot to take photos until the eating was done so you will have to use your imagination.

Restaurant Cote Cour
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 22 miles (35 km)
Total: 220 miles (354 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0