Thouras to Chinon - The Fab 3 in France 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 28, 2023

Thouras to Chinon

Heart 0 Comment 0

Our stay at Villa des Glycines was incredible. The rooms were beautiful and to top it off we had a multi course breakfast of fresh fruit, croissant and scrambled eggs and bacon. Our hosts Pepita and Pierre had even gone out of their way to pick us up some slices of quiche to take with us for lunch.

Pepita and Pierre from Villa des Glycines
Heart 0 Comment 0

We decided to shorten my proposed route for today and head in a relative straight line for Chinon. We left behind the designated bike route for now and took to the country roads as Komoot saw fit to choose. 

Out of Thouras we started riding through farmland again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maddie photo op next to a flower garden along the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our road cut through the forest and the bird song was incredible. It was a really pleasant ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back into farm land.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Near the end of our route we took a back road into Chinon which could do with some repair.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrived in Chinon and as we were too early to check in we walked down to the town square. There was a dance festival going on and we come across serval crowds of people dancing in the streets.

Several groups were dancing in the streets when we arrived.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After looking around for an hour we headed to our B&B, locked the bikes in their garage and went for a shower. We wanted to go and check out the Chinon fortress and luckily for us it is open until 7pm at this time of year.

The fortress has mostly be knocked down but they have restore one building, the kings castle. For the tour they gave you a tablet which would give you a virtual view of what each of the rooms looked like as you spun the tablet around. 

The bakery, the keep and the clock tower were all still there in various states of repair. We climbed up and down the stairs and marveled at the views across the country side.

Fortress clock tower from down in town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Clock tower from inside the fortress.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grounds with the kings castle in the background.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View along the river from the keep.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our evening was finished off struggling to find somewhere to eat as it was Sunday night and lots of people in town. We abandon our normal choosing based on ratings method and took the first place that had room. Kathy and I had a warm goats cheese salad which was very nice.

Our evening was finished off with a stroll along the river la Vienne until the bugs started coming out in force and we headed back to our hotel. Sun set is around 9:40 at the moment so by the time we got back it was close to 10pm and another great day was done.

Today's ride: 28 miles (45 km)
Total: 198 miles (319 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0