Ouzouer-sur-Trezee to Le gite de Gaia - The Fab 3 in France 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 7, 2023

Ouzouer-sur-Trezee to Le gite de Gaia

Heart 0 Comment 0
Already for a long day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Somehow most days seem to start with an uphill. Todays hill was small but still there and set us up for a nice overall decent for the next 30 miles. The canal path did a large loop so we decided to head across country and meet up with the canal again at the top of the loop.

Through the fields.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not hot yet but the shade is always welcome.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The road this morning was fast and great tandem country. Tandems are fast down hill and slow up but if you can get the hills just the right size you can take your down hill speed, push across the bottom and fly up the rise. Doing this we can maintain a good rolling speed which is hard for most half bikes to match. When you combine these rollers with the general down hill of our route today it meant our moving average speed for the first couple of hours was close to 17 m/hr. Not bad for a badly bloated heavy built tandem powered by two 60 year olds.

A nice pace line.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back on the canal for some car free riding.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The the canal path was once again a dream ride. We saw few other cyclist and mostly we had this perfect pavement to ourselves. The canal was busy and we came across several of the locks in the process of moving boats. We stopped at a lock and watched it gently lower two canal boats from one level to the next. Of course that got me wondering about the logistics of boating the lock and I came up with many questions to ponder. How do you pay? Can you only go one way? Are the locks always maned?  Turns out you pay once for a period of time, you can go both ways and the locks are maned for certain hours but many are automatic or self operated.

The canal path into Montargis.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flowers on the barricade for the bike parking in the street.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Main Street in Montargis was decorated with birds and butterflies.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped in Montargis to pickup supplies for lunch. It was a very pretty city with lots of flowers, small streets and plenty of places to find things for lunch. Today we went with three quiche Lorrain.  After some time browsing the street and looking in the various stores we got back on the bike path and passed through the industrial and ugly part of town but we soon got back into the wooded, quiet tow path.

Lunch spot complete with seat and shade.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our accommodation for tonight was out in the country side and so we had to bring our food for dinner and breakfast with us. I had mapped our route to go via the closest grocery store I could find which was still 10 miles from our destination. 

We turned off the canal path and headed through the suburbs to get to the supermarket and then on to our accommodation. Komoot had mapped a route which started out good until it starting taking us through a massive interchange for the Autoroute that was clearly marked as no bicycles. We quickly consulted komoot again, changed from road cycling to touring and with a bit of prodding we came up with an alternate route that included a small section of dirt road.

These last minute route changes often lead to a good story or two about slogging through some unexpected path or overgrown trail and this one was no exception. We turned on to a rough dirt track leading down a steep hill. Kathy and I decided to walk it as a heavy loaded tandem bouncing down a dirt hill is not good for any of the combatants involved.

At the bottom of the hill came the story of this diversion. A small donkey was in a field with grass as high as him. He heard us coming and came at a run to see us and say hello.

A very friendly little fellow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Selfie to end the ear scratching session with.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our path after the donkey was still rough so Kathy and I walked a bit further until we came to a section that was a paved road at one point but had not had any maintenance since the autoroute was built 200ft away. We picked our way around the holes and half eroded pavement until 1/2 mile later we were back on the road.

We turned west on the autoroute overpass and got our first real tail wind of the trip. It felt good except for the fact that soon we would be turning north east to get to our home for the night and it would be a head wind again.

Back on the pavement.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our view from our last down hill of the day. Spectacular riding once again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Home for the night.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After showering we made dinner with a great salad and ate out on the terrace in very pleasant evening. Our host took us to the barn to see her horses and Kathy, Maddie and her were soon deep into conversation about all things horse. 

Look what our home has. A special bread cutting board to catch the crumbs when cutting a baguette and a great bread cutting knife.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our host showing us her horses.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This guy is even bigger than my horse!
Heart 0 Comment 0
More horse admiring.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lajlaut looking for some love from Kathy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The house cat. He was very friendly and just wanted to lick your hand if you put it near him.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bloom waiting for some food to fall. While we were cleaning up he dove into the trash can and grabbed our leftovers before we knew what was going on.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tonight stays was very enjoyable sitting out in the country side and the animals. It felt more like being home rather than just another nights stop on a trip. The dogs soon became our constant companions for the evening and appeared again as soon as we got up in the morning.

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 474 miles (763 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Tricia GrahamReally interested to read of your cycling from Briare We are cycling in Europe alittle later in the year. I have a niece in Moret sur Loing and know there is an excellent cycle route from there to Montargis as we have done it before. What we are really wondering about is what it is like from there to Briare along the Briare Canal. From your description it sounds as if it should be fine
Really enjoying your trip through France as we contemplate and plan ours
Safe travelling
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Carl OlsenTo Tricia GrahamThe sections of the canal path we did from Briare to Montargis are outstanding. The surface in the section south of Montargis on a whole was better than north of Montargis so I think you will love it.

I have read your blogs and look forward to following this years adventure.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Tricia GrahamTo Carl OlsenThank you so much for that. It could well change this years trip. It really needs to be not too challenging. We intend starting in north Germany making our way to Moret to visit Louise then now with this new information will go to Briare via Nemours and Mortagis on to Decise then the Canal de Nivenae which will take us to the Canal de Bourgogne and onwards to finish in Lyon. All easy cycling which is important as I have a complete unrepairable rupture of my abductor tendons which means although I can ride fine my walking is severely limited
Do look forward to seeing where you go next
Reply to this comment
10 months ago