To Priego de Córdoba - Three, Two, One....Tour - CycleBlaze

April 14, 2023

To Priego de Córdoba

Zuheros sits at the northeast border of the Sierras Subbéticas Natural Park, a UNESCO-designated Geopark in the Sierra Subbética range that includes a central limestone massif and characteristic karst-like features such as caves, cliffs, steep hillsides and narrow valleys. In addition to Zuheros, a number of other interesting “white-villages” are found bordering the protected areas of the park, including Cabra, Rute, Iznájar, Luque, and Priego de Córdoba, my destination for today. I had originally planned to follow a route to Priego similar to that ridden by Team Anderson in 2004 and Jacquie and Al in 2021, one which curves around the western edge of the park to Cabra before cutting east through the heart of the park to Priego de Cordoba. It looked to be a stellar route, one enthusiastically endorsed by Scott, but given my weakened condition I opted for a shorter route that skirted the eastern edge of the park, similar to the one taken by Betsy Evans in 2021. I don’t know what I missed on the western route, but my ride today was spectacular.

Before getting to the actual ride, I'd like to comment on the patience of the Andalusians, in particular the drivers. As you may gleaned from your readings thus far, the streets of these wonderful white hill towns are steep, and often so narrow that pedestrians must flatten themselves against the wall should a car approach. When cars traveling these streets need to stop, for a pick-up or delivery perhaps, any tailing car must wait for the task ahead to be completed. I’ve often been behind a line of three or more cars, each waiting patiently while a grandmother, a case of wine, or a sack of garden mulch was delivered to one of the residential or commercial establishments that line the narrow thruways. There is no honking, no admonitions to hurry it along, just a patience that I rarely find in my hurry-up world back in the US. And so I too wait, patiently – after all, when in Rome…

I was loading up Vivien George when this car stopped in the middle of the street to deliver garden supplies to a house down the small alley where my apartment was located
Heart 3 Comment 0
Patiently waiting in Zuheros - sort of like a red light but without a light nor any indication of when the line of cars will start moving forward
Heart 3 Comment 0

Now back to the ride – another wonderful Andalusian day with blue skies, moderate temperatures, and low-traffic roads through olive groves. I started the morning a bit achy – “flu-like symptoms” that quickly receded as I relished the open road and broad vistas. I’d planned to avoid the ascent into Luque, but the route had a backdoor climb that sneaked up on me and I was soon in the middle of town mingling with tractors. It was the briefest of visits – a couple of photos and then I was off, skirting limestone cliffs, snaking through arroyos, and still entranced by the rolling groves of olive trees that stretched out almost all directions.

Farewell to Zuheros
Heart 7 Comment 0
The anticipation of a wonderful ride to Priego de Cordoba
Heart 6 Comment 0
There were mountains...
Heart 6 Comment 0
...and olive groves
Heart 7 Comment 0
Castillo de Venceaire in Luque - a view from below
Heart 2 Comment 0
Castillo de Venceaire in Luque - I though I was avoiding the climb up to Luque but apparently I plotted a back way into town
Heart 3 Comment 0
Luque is a town that seems to cater to trucks and tractors
Heart 4 Comment 0
And there were a lot of tractors rolling through town, most towing large containers whose contents were a mystery, at least to me
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith AdamsI wonder whether that's a giant mobile "mister" for olive trees? A big tank of water to be gradually blown through what looks like a large fan at the back?
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
A few roadside poppies on the way to Priego
Heart 6 Comment 0
Skirting the Sierras Subbéticas Natural Park, with a view of its limestone cliffs and caves
Heart 2 Comment 0
A closer look at the cliffs and caves of the Sierras Subbéticas Natural Park. There are 60 registered caves in the park
Heart 7 Comment 0
Winding through El Arroyo Morellana
Heart 3 Comment 0
Truly a joy ride
Heart 5 Comment 0
Torre de Barcos
Heart 3 Comment 0
A tower in need of a trim
Heart 4 Comment 0
A look down the Ría Salado River Valley
Heart 3 Comment 0
Along the way to Priego de Cordoba
Heart 5 Comment 0
A brief snack stop under the olive tree
Heart 3 Comment 0
Charles and Sally, two Brits on their way to Cordoba with a trunk full of olive oil
Heart 4 Comment 0
Along the way to Priego de Cordoba
Heart 4 Comment 0
First glimpse of Priego de Cordoba
Heart 5 Comment 0

  It was a short ride from Zuheros to Priego de Cordoba, only 18 miles. And though there was climbing, I arrived shortly after one pm and soon thereafter entered my guest house, located on one of the main streets in the old town district. The Andalusian Palace lives up to its name – a large two-story residence whose architectural style was quite similar to the many of the riad palaces I’d seen in Morocco. It was quite opulent inside, with furnishings and accessories purchased over the years by the family patriarch, who had passed away a few years ago. His wife, daughter and son-in-law still live in the residence and have only recently begun to offer rooms to paying overnight guests. The son-in-law Luka was my on-site host who gave me a tour and lots of information on the art of producing award-winning olive oil, which remains the primary family business. They still have some kinks to work out on the art of hosting, but it was a pretty amazing place to stay.

Arrived in Priego de Cordoba and waiting to contact host for early check-in
Heart 5 Comment 0
The Andalusian Palace looks rather ordinary from the outside
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith AdamsExcept that it's in remarkably good nick, that is.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
The entryway
Heart 7 Comment 0
The open courtyard typical of riads was a well-appointed sitting area
Heart 9 Comment 0
Second floor rooms encircle the open atria - my room was the one in the far corner
Heart 6 Comment 0
Tapestries and oil paintings decorated the walls
Heart 4 Comment 0
The backyard, or garden
Heart 3 Comment 0
The award-winning olive oil - a seemingly lucrative enterprise
Heart 4 Comment 0

The benefit of these short-mileage days is not only preserving my energy for the ride (and hopefully recovery), but also arriving at my destination town in time for lunch. I found the restaurant recommended by Sally and Charles, the British couple I’d met on the road, and enjoyed a hearty dish of black rice with calamari and octopus. I even splurged on a couple of scoops of ice cream for desert. Afterwards, I took a very short stroll around town, but skipped the sightseeing in favor of rest and journaling – though I was foiled in the latter effort due to poor internet. It was a bit of an annoyance, but not enough to spoil what had been a great day.

Lunch time in Priego de Cordoba
Heart 5 Comment 0
Priego de Cordoba
Heart 6 Comment 0
Priego de Cordoba
Heart 4 Comment 0
Virgen del Carmen Parish
Heart 2 Comment 0
City Hall, Priego de Cordoba
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 18 miles (29 km)
Total: 758 miles (1,220 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0