The journey to the optical Mecca - 2 Good Blokes get lost in Europe - CycleBlaze

April 25, 2023

The journey to the optical Mecca

Maubier to Pringins

After yesterday’s late finish we make a concerted effort to leave by 9am. We did manage that if you included a liberal margin of error and sped 2 kilometres straight downhill to the town of Moriz 

It’s freezing cold and the intermittent early morning sunshine has given way to dark clouds and sleety rain. It’s forecast to stay like that until lunchtime so we find a bar and settle in there. The funny thing is that they serve you coffee but no food so can’t have a pastry with your caffeine hit. Sacre Bleu! With the rain easing off we go for a wander, find a boulangerie and demolish a pain au chocolat. Around the corner is a Musee de Lunettes which is a museum of spectacles. Unfortunately it’s closed on Tuesdays. I’ve always thought that there’s no better way to wile away the hours than visiting your local spectacle museum.  Around the next corner was a mural on the side of a building depicting a French optical sweatshop.

2 degrees and sleeting. Tell me once again why I’m doing this?
Heart 6 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesBecause you have masochistic tendancies?
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Dennis LangleyMust have I guess. It makes you appreciate the good weather more.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
One of each sil vous plait
Heart 7 Comment 2
Pete CoxMy Google French to English translator tells me Chou Chantilly is Cabbage with whipped cream????….🤮
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Dennis LangleyI think it’s Chou as in choux pastry and Chantilly as in Chantilly cream.
Not sure I’d want cabbage with cream
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Should’ve gone to specsavers
Heart 4 Comment 0

On returning to our bar for yet another coffee I googled the optical connection to this town and  found that Moriz was the birthplace of the global optical industry no less. Quoting the English translation on their website ‘Spectacle frames were born from a single nail in Morez.’

By 11.30 the rain had stopped and we cycled out and up the first of many climbs of the day.

Pain au raisin et tres superbe
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

We climbed our way up Montee de Premanon in dappled sunshine and headed along a ridge line to the shorter climb up to La Cure, on the Swiss border. We got there just as it started lightly snowing! Lunch was at the Hotel Arbez which straddles the border. Room 9 is a binational room so you can sleep in 2 countries at the same time if that’s your thing. Personally I just want a comfy mattress. The restaurant is also divided and leads to some quirky rules when ordering. The Swiss dish of Tomme Vaudoise can only be ordered on the Swiss side of the restaurant due to to stringent European regulations affecting unpasteurised dairy products. On the French side you can have saucisse de Morteau a variety of sausage whose distribution is not allowed in Switzerland.

The Germans occupied the the French half of the hotel during WWII but since the staircase leading to the upper floors were partly on Swiss territory it remained off limits making them a safe haven for Jewish refugees and became known as the stairway to freedom.

Heart 3 Comment 0
I intentionally sat on the French side. Switzerland is noticeably more expensive than France.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Cherie LangleyStairway to freedom! 🥹.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Langley demolishes the Queensland D grader 3-1 in the pine cone throwing competition
Heart 5 Comment 0

Just a little more climbing before our first glimpse of Lake Geneva and the snow clad mountains beyond, most notably Mont Blanc. It’s a sweeping 12 kilometre descent down to Nyon where John leaves me to catch a train to Lausanne.   It’s 10 degrees warmer at Nyon than it was in La Cure. I manage to navigate all by myself the remaining 6ks to Pringin and take another 30 minutes to work out the weird numbering system before locating Gabor and Eniko’s apartment.

Eniko is cooking Palacsinta, a Hungarian pancake that was my absolute favourite when I was growing up. My mum would make about 40, half savoury and half chocolate. They would be filled, rolled up and coated with an egg wash and baked in the oven. I never worried about the savoury ones and just gorged myself on the chocolate ones. Eniko has made chicken Palacsinta and it really hits the spot.

Every kilometre there’s a sign giving the distance to the summit and the average gradient for the next kilometre
Heart 7 Comment 2
Kirsten KaarsooI am never sure if these signs are encouraging or discouraging.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Dennis LangleyI like it. At least you feel like your making progress when you see another sign
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 5 Comment 0

I’ve got 3 nights with Gabor, Eniko and their 3 boys before I meet up with John in Zurich on Friday.

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 388 km (241 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 17
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Urs EgliI spent 5 months with the Swiss Army in that part of Switzerland. Beautiful countryside. Enjoy it.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Dennis LangleyTo Urs EgliIt certainly is Urs.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooI enjoyed your description of the hotel and dining room. It never ceases to amaze me how some rules are followed!!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Dennis LangleyI’m not sure that the rules are enforced. I certainly didn’t see a dividing line
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Cool Bikeguy69Sounds cold! Stay warm.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Dennis Langley20 degrees in Geneva today. Much better!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago