On the road again (with a stomach full of Swiss cheese) - 2 Good Blokes get lost in Europe - CycleBlaze

April 28, 2023

On the road again (with a stomach full of Swiss cheese)

Winterthur to Konstanz

I spent two fabulous days with Gabor and Eniko and their kids. In true Hungarian tradition they showered me with love, kindness and masses of delicious food. I remember when I was backpacking in Europe after uni and stayed in Hungary for a few days. My 90 year old quasi aunt force fed me copious quantities of chicken dumplings and when I couldn’t fit any more in she sneaked 5 more into my bowl and said “if you love me you will finish”. It’s the Hungarian way.

We ate out at a Fondue restaurant one night. and had the traditional Swiss dish, Raclette the following night, interspersed with a constant flow of food through the day. I was spoilt rotten by the Bartas and cannot thank them enough for their kindness and hospitality.

Am I doing this right?
Heart 6 Comment 1
Urs EgliThat's the way. Melted cheese over the potatoes. Delicious
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Fondue with the Bartas
Heart 7 Comment 0

it finally warmed up and felt like spring. We went for a long walk down to lake Geneva. Most of the foreshore was taken up by the properties of the Uber wealthy. The backdrop to the lake are the mountains of the alps including Mont Blanc still with a heavy snow cover.

Heart 5 Comment 0
That’s Mont Blanc in the middle
Heart 6 Comment 0

I met up with John in Lausanne and caught the train to the outskirts of Zurich. After a wet morning it cleared enough to have an almost rain free ride up to Lake Constance. Once we got through the industrial area it was riding on bike paths through classic Swiss countryside with little villages dotted around.

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

Accomodation seems ridiculously expensive in Switzerland along with most other things. Around Lake Constance even a simple apartment is double what we were paying in France so we settle on a room with 3 beds at a farm stay for $200. 

What a dog box! This isn’t a room, it’s a bed with plywood walls. And there’s a mother with 3 young kids in the broom closet next door. I have ear plugs at the ready
Heart 4 Comment 2
Dennis LangleyActually slept ok and the kids were quiet!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
For you Steve.
Heart 8 Comment 3
Mike AylingOughta post that in the punctures thread in the forums!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Steve WhanHillarious! I'm definitely the top pic!!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Dennis LangleyTo Steve WhanI’m being deadly serious. What’s so funny?
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

Hopefully a more interesting blog tomorrow.

Today's ride: 53 km (33 miles)
Total: 441 km (274 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 0