Day 46 Burlington Campground Redwood Forest: Taking a Day Off to Explore - 2 For the Road - CycleBlaze

August 18, 2017

Day 46 Burlington Campground Redwood Forest: Taking a Day Off to Explore

The day broke and we managed to sleep in until 8:00 – hurray! We had a leisurely breakfast of coffee and oatmeal while chatting with Jamie and Angela. They were heading off to have their coffee by the river this morning – a nice idea. We decided to have our second cup up by the ranger station to make use of their wifi and check in with the world – something I think we maybe shouldn’t even do these days.

After cleaning up, we headed off to go for our promised short hike. Starting out across from the ranger station, there were many large Redwoods, but as we progressed, they became smaller and fewer in between other trees. While pretty, it was not quite what we were looking for. We did manage to take a few pics as I was disappointed that we hadn’t taken more when we hiked up at Elk Prairie.

really, what can I say, these trees are simply amazing and pictures can't really capture how beautiful they are, nor can they convey the feeling you get when you are in their presence - if you haven't ever come here, you have to!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
the roots of a tree that had fallen
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I love the waves on the exposed tree trunk
Heart 0 Comment 0
you can see, again, the notches cut out so that loggers could get up and work on cutting the tree down
Heart 0 Comment 0
look, honey! A tiny home for us?
Heart 0 Comment 0

We came back and decided that we would take the bikes down the road, lock them up and try a different spot to go walking in the woods. Finding a likely looking location we did just that, taking more pics and enjoying the sight of more of these beautiful trees. However, the mosquitoes in the forest were fierce and we were soon driven back to our bikes to escape being eaten alive.

hmmm... not sure why this is sideways - I was trying to get the perspective of how truly tall they are
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
just barely got out of this one!
Heart 0 Comment 0
from something this small, comes something so large!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode a short distance to the community of Weot, one of those places that had been affected by the flood of 1964 and had not really recovered. There was a small store there where we hoped to find a couple of things for dinner and some ice cream. Unfortunately for us, they had just recently opened and so were not fully stocked – read that no ice cream! Oh well, we found some other sweet things to satisfy ourselves and headed back to the campground.

On our way, we were passed by 3 model-T type cars! They looked so cool driving down through the trees, it was like something from 100 years ago just popped into the present! We were so excited upon coming back to Burlington to find them parked out in front of the ranger station. We quickly rode up and talked with the owners for quite a while. They were very devoted to their cars, but also so willing to share. They let anyone who wanted to sit in the cars, so of course, we jumped at the chance – what fun it would be to ride down the Avenue of the Giants in one of these babies!!!

the cool cars we saw on the road - so glad they stopped!
Heart 0 Comment 0
can I ride in this one?
Heart 0 Comment 0
see the rumble seat in the back? We didn't bother trying to get in - not flexible enough
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jim's new ride!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The rest of the afternoon was given over to working on pictures and the journal.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0