Day 43 Arcata: A Horrible Discovery - 2 For the Road - CycleBlaze

August 15, 2017

Day 43 Arcata: A Horrible Discovery

Ok, I have a confession to make. We actually really liked the Redwood Lily after we got over the fact that it was, indeed, a hostel. Too bad we hadn’t booked for two nights!

We woke up refreshed, having slept very well in our super comfy bed. The room décor was like a home – things hanging up all around. It had the feel of spending the night at a relative’s home and sleeping in one of the grown-up kid’s bedrooms. Amazingly, when we asked the host how many people the home could accommodate, he said they could have up to 20 people! The upstairs is the dorm area and the downstairs are the private rooms. Although we didn’t have a private bath, it was just across the hall from us and no one else used it, so you could call it private.

some of the shared spaces at Redwood Lily - we really enjoyed sitting and working here
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
the decor in our room - it felt like we were staying at a family home
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We got up and went in to the kitchen to fix breakfast. They had a variety of things available and we chose to make toast. There was a woman of our age sitting at the table, so we got to chatting. It turns out that she and her husband were in town to get their daughter settled at Humbolt for the term. They were from Tasmania, although originally they were from Oregon. She is a professor at the university over there. They were quite delightful to talk to and we spent quite a long time just chatting about all sorts of things. It is not the kind of thing you would do at a hotel, which is why I have changed my tune about staying there. All in all, quite a delightful experience.

Still needing a coffee fix, as they didn't have any decaf at the Redwood Lily, we walked down the street to Los Bagels for a decaf. While sitting there, we noticed a really creative mural outside the building.

mural outside of Los Bagels - there were other murals painted all over town
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Getting back, we worked for a bit before checkout time and then packed up the bikes and headed up the road. We had booked a motel online yesterday so that we could stay and enjoy another day in this little town. I think, from now on, we will look before we book, as the motel was pretty run down and being right near the University, it had a definite “student housing” air to it. However, we really needed to get laundry and groceries done. As well, we wanted to send off Ryder’s t-shirt in the mail. I pulled it out and went to fold it for placing in a padded envelope and discovered

Ryder's cool t-shirt
Heart 0 Comment 0
oh no!!!!! Disaster!!!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Oh no! What happened! When we bought it, it was perfectly fine. I thought back to Patrick’s Point and then it hit me. I had placed the t-shirt in the bear protected container at the site, along with all of the panniers and items that had food in them. I had left it sitting on the top, not really thinking anything about it. I guess a mouse got in and not being able to get into the panniers, helped itself to Ryder’s shirt! Sorry, Ryder! We will find a replacement soon and send it to you without the help from any of the “park interpreters”!

Groceries and laundry took us to the lunch hour and we spotted a Mexican restaurant nearby so stopped there for a bite. I ordered a taco which was enough for me and Jim ordered a burrito, which ended up being so huge we took it back to our room to have for dinner later on.

Chores done, we headed back and purchased some beer to have with our leftovers. The evening was spent watching old movies on tv. Early to bed as we are up early in the morning to head off to Fortuna. We are making a couple of little side trips to other little towns and want to make sure we have enough time.

All in all, a quiet day but things got done that needed to be done – next time we will check out the available places to stay a little more closely though!

this amazing house was on the hill just up from Redwood Lily - its a private home!
Heart 0 Comment 0
the square in the center of Arcata. We saw guys playing frisbee here in the afternoon, and then later in the day (and early morning) some not-so-great-looking people hanging out. Oh well - they have palm trees!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
cool streets in the downtown area
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0